Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has come to my attention that big V8's (and all other petrol engines) will be come a thing of the past. Think about it, crude oil is running short and getting more expensive by the second, the public are blaming cars for mass pollution causing the green house effect, governments are applying tougher rules on emission levels in cars, and Major car companies are developing electric cars (Holden and ford included) , and this looks very, very sad IMO.
What can we do? - nothing, eventually it'll get worse and us 'petrol heads' will start talking about the sweet sound of an electric car instead of a 5-litre V8 roaring. The future does not look good at all...:(

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,540 Posts
Pritesh,

I know where your getting at exactly, and yes it would be sortof dooms day for us V8 and big 6's diehards.

However looking on the bright side, they had this hype in 1986 where cars by the turn of the century will be powered by alternative fuels. Hell even Ford and nearly holden for that matter dropped the V8 by the mid eighties.
Now look at us, Holden and Ford are kicking away with big V8's with massive horsepower.
Surely if Ford and GM realise that oil will runout and people don't want V8's they wouldn't be making these engines.

Quite frankly IMO i reckon i'd be a while yet before where driving around in Vacuum cleaners and Swatch cars.

·
The SparkleHunter™
10,144 Posts
Electric cars and such won't become mainstream transport for a long time yet. The main reason is the price. The technology is nowhere near where it needs to be to be competitive on price. Think about it.. How many people are going to spend $50+k on a Honda Insight when they can spen $14k drive away for a Hyundai with better peformance. That's a lot of years before you see your added expense claimed back..

Internal Combustion engines.... accept no substitute.. :D

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
haha (vacumn cleanears).
But still, it's gotten to the point where there is all readt Hydrogen/electric cars in production (hello Honda hover), it's not just a theory any more, it's pure fact and it's gonna happen, soon.
Who's gonna suffer? - not you old phoeys, but me and my mates:( .

·
The SparkleHunter™
10,144 Posts
priteshpatel99 said:
Who's gonna suffer? - not you old phoeys, but me and my mates:( .
The internal combustion engine will be around for at least another 30-40 years... Oil companies sponsor politicians remember..

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,540 Posts
Ford Man said:
Internal Combustion engines.... accept no substitute.. :D [/B]
Well i'll make it even simpler, in addition it has to either be an Inline 6 or a V8, can be forced inducted ofcourse. :D :D :D

Pritesh,

I doubt in 3 years when you'll be driving that electric cars or the like will be affordable or as practical and powerful. My specs for an electric car, gotta meet the specs of EF_GuY by which when i get bogged behind a semi up Lapstone Hill doin 60km/h i like to accelerate past him and be doin 140km/h.

Just a thought Electric cars has full torque from 0 rpm, does it mean they can do better circle work or line lockers, :eek: :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
But still...:( :( :( :( :(

What about my kids??!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

·
Australian TE50 AU1 Member
194 Posts
As long as there is oil in the ground we will have petrol cars, and I think there's still a fair bit to go yet. There's a lot of rich Arabs and Texans out there, when they start to invest in electric cars I'll be worried.

·
Crazed Cone Chaser
2,524 Posts
The first thing to happen will be for the internal combustion engine to run on different fuel ie. hydrogen. It will be a long time before electric cars are the go.
Speaking of children, I am soooo worried that when I have kids that they will become holden fans, god I hope not. That would be worse than electric cars.

Petrol will last a long time, cars are getting more fuel efficient, so there will be more and more petrol to go around as they get better.

Paul.

·
Administrator
5,087 Posts
(\/)ADXF said:
The first thing to happen will be for the internal combustion engine to run on different fuel ie. hydrogen. It will be a long time before electric cars are the go.
Speaking of children, I am soooo worried that when I have kids that they will become holden fans, god I hope not. That would be worse than electric cars.

Petrol will last a long time, cars are getting more fuel efficient, so there will be more and more petrol to go around as they get better.

Paul.
Yes there are alternative fuels yet and we still havn't touched on synthetic fuels if the oil reserves drop too much.Fuels can be made out of crops grown on land such as Maize or corn.We all know that you can get alcohol from it and i think methanol so could be other ways yet.

M

·
0 Posts
Big Block Ford said:

Yes there are alternative fuels yet and we still havn't touched on synthetic fuels if the oil reserves drop too much.Fuels can be made out of crops grown on land such as Maize or corn.We all know that you can get alcohol from it and i think methanol so could be other ways yet.

It will be at least 50 years before electric cars are the go....synthetic oils, and crops grown for alchohol type fuels will be the go without too much change to engine design....Ive heard rumours of oil companies buying huge tracts of land......Besides that, natural gas is also an immediate option, so with man made synthetic oil and either gas or an organic plant fuel (alchohol) the future looks good for us petrol heads...........and for our kids, and theirs, and theirs........;) :D

·
Australian ED XR6 Member
569 Posts
Just a quick word for what it's worth. Where do all the "tree huggin hippies" think the energy to power these eco friendly electric cars come from? Doesn't the electricity come from those fossil fuel burning power stations. How many of the politicians take this into account? Because of the extra losses involved in electrical generation / distribution the amount of emmisions / kilometer (let's be honest - pollution) for these ecowarrior type cars, may actually be somewhat higher then their petrol powered counterparts.
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
It's easy to say a car has zero emmisions, if you can't see the smoke coming from the stacks of the powerstation!!!

(Finally - my 100th post);)

T

·
0 Posts
I knew it would'nt be too long before someone brought tree hugging hippies into the conversation. For a start they only protect the trees and forests where the dope is grown. And second when ever theres a bush fire, where are the hippies to be found to help the brigades put it out. thats right no-where. It's a big conspiracy, bush fires are lit by hippies, to regenerate the soil so they can regrow there new crops.

another example is governments and farmers. farmers are given grants by the government to wipe out gorse and brush etc. farmer sprays gorse with poison to kill spread, decides to burn off whats left with the help of the fire brigade, farmer burns, fire brigade sprays with water to put fire out....right...wrong...fire has heated the ground from burning, water from hoses has watered the ground and the seeds from the burning gorse have now sprouted, and the whole cycle starts all over again.

good on your johhny.

·
Australian ED XR6 Member
569 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I luv the way those environmental warriors drive around in their smogbus kombis. (It makes it a lot easier to know exactly where they are, so I can give them a wide berth - haven't they discovered soap & water yet?):p
I was just hoping to even the ledger a little in the electric car wars. Remember - there is no such thing as a free lunch, pollution free power for a car - yeah right.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
laminge said:

God help FF, and us, if you ever manage to breed!!!

:nuts: :cool: :nuts: :D :nuts: :D :nuts: :D :nuts: :D
HEY!!!! -Thats a bit cold!!!

My worst nightmare would also for them to be Red Barons.
But at least there'd be some intresting topics at the dinner table!

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
DONUT KING said:

HAHAHAHAHAHA Hear Hear Laminge!! :D :D :D :D :D
Heh, at least I know what it's like.:p :p :p :p
At uni and still has sock where there should'nt be on...tsk tsk:D

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Seriously though, I don't think it'll be 30-40 years, I'm thinking more about 10-15 years. - It's gonna happen, thats a fact, but when? is the real question. -Hopefully after I die!!;)

·
Formerly J-type
1,629 Posts
No I think it is bullcrap. Combustion engines will probably be around for another 20-30 years yet.
What we probably will see more of is hybrid powered cars, that have petrol and electric motors.
Besides like the GEN3 chev, V8 future engines will become more fuel efficent.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts