Ford Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
I want a turtle!
2,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Currently my ED XR8 is in peices (the heads are at 1 place, the block is on the garage floor, the manifold is in my boot etc etc)
Anyways... one of the many parts I need to replace is the timing chain, and timing chain case. I was thinking of getting a gear drive, but I am not sure if I will need a different timing chain case for this.

Does anyone know if the gear drive will clear it, or if not - where abouts I could get a case to suit a gear drive?

:)
Thanks
Kelli S

·
CEO - The BSR Group
4,400 Posts
Hey Kell! Ya finally made it to the boards :D :D :D

Welcome! Prepare to lose precious spare time (and in a lot of cases, work time) to this little community... lol :nuts:

·
Australian Falcon Member
663 Posts
hmm, have you tried places like Veale and Repco?

Although they generally know Nothing about engines, theyve usually got the stuff on the shelves.. I heared a gear drive set for my 250 costs somewhere around $200 at Marlows, but i havent heared of a gear grive street price for the later model windsor blocks..

Anyway, happy hunting!

·
The SparkleHunter™
10,144 Posts
el2xr8 said:
Welcome! Prepare to lose precious spare time (and in a lot of cases, work time) to this little community... lol :nuts:
Precious, precious spare time... Can someone please tell me what it is again!!.. :nuts:

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
In my experience gear drives are a disaster. They suffer oiling problems, excessive wear, and some cause metal deposits in the oil. The Holden V8 is especially bad as the gears don't get any direct oil feed.

Stick with a high quality timing chain! It will cause less trouble.

·
I want a turtle!
2,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cant get one anyway...

Oh well... turns out I cant get a gear drive to suit my car anyway..

Not sure if this is true or not, but I was told there are no gear drives on the market to suit a 302 that has roller rockers ??!!??

I didnt even know the type of rockers would make a difference...

·
Administrator
5,119 Posts
Re: cant get one anyway...

XR8chic said:
Oh well... turns out I cant get a gear drive to suit my car anyway..

Not sure if this is true or not, but I was told there are no gear drives on the market to suit a 302 that has roller rockers ??!!??

I didnt even know the type of rockers would make a difference...
I would say that is crap.The 5.0 Ford is as prolific as the 350 Chev and there is almost any part you want for them.Rockers make no difference.In my veiw the gear drive is probably not worth the hassle.The gear drive is more robust but the 5.0 has a roller cam and unless you are thinking of putting in a cam with real high lift and steep ramps then I would go with a good chain set.Why do you need a new timing chain case,is it damaged.The gear drives tend to keep cam timing accuracy for longer as well but small point.But if it is what you want then go somewhere else cause I'm sure you can get one. The gear drive should fit in the orig timing case but check with supplier.

·
I want a turtle!
2,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wanted to get the gear drive, cos I was told it would be better suited to the cam I bought ... plus they sound cool.

I already bought the timing chain and timing chain case today..

The reason I need this is a very long and painfull (and expensive) story... Short version is that the water pump corroded, sprayed water into the timing chain case, from there into the engine, and then my engine got cooked...

:-(

So far the bill for repairs (and mods... "may as well get some work done while the engine is apart") has just topped $3500...

·
Administrator
5,119 Posts
Oh hell that is bad luck with the engine.I see you have already got the chain set.It's a shame you didn't get what you wanted as I'm sure it could have been supplied.I think Crane or one of the cam manufacturers make them.Good luck with the rest of the rebuild.

T

·
0 Posts
timing gears for 5.0 windsor $450.00 +gst. keep standard timing case, new one not needed. as for oiling diffulculties, problem is easily solved with 1/8 drill bit.

G

·
0 Posts
Gear drives although good for timing accuracy (occasionally disputed by some) I personally think is a waste of money unless your into full on drag racing.
A good double roller timing chain is good enough. :cool:

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
Hi kelly.Go to www.summitracing.com For info.. Edelbrock have them part #EDL-7893 for Ford hydraulic roller cam.$209 U.S..Should be able to purchase here. I would go for Cloyes roller chain Part#CLO-9-3135 Give U.S Importers
[ex Performance wharehouse] a call 9607-2299 /264 Hoxton Pk Liverpool.Check out there 347 stuff while there. They do listen.I have hade no trouble with a True roller chain and I have F303 cam with 512 lift & double valve springs and as you know I give it some.Mine cost $80.00..Any cheaper is possibly rubbish..

·
I want a turtle!
2,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the saga continues...

OK.. I dont think I will ever get my car back on the road...

The new timing chain and timing chain case arrived today. I was having a look at the case and I noticed it had a hole in the side. The mechanic didnt know what it was for..
"this isnt one for a carby 302 is it?" I asked..
"yeah -- that will be the hole for the fuel pump..."

so anyways - I was back on the phone to rocket to order the correct part. turns out they dont stock a timing chain cover for the EFI 302. :(

Called ford and they want over $700 for it!!!!!

Does anyone know where I can get one for around the $150 mark ?? (Repair bill has just hit $3800 and I dont have much money left)

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
Try Suburban Imports.They have aheap of the H.O motors I recon they'l have trouble selling them unless they are cheaper.Swap all your parts over..?I think they have some in [email protected] Winbourn Rd Brookvale Ph 9905-8288 good luck Kelly

·
Officially Bored with 347
3,584 Posts
hi Kell...
firstly gear drives are pretty cool sounding, dont wear as much as chains do which inturn puts timing out everso much but you really do get alot of vibration/harmonics through ya rocker system. I think after 8hrs of country driving it would drive me insane. Have you tried fordmotorsport/southside ford believe it or not but some stuff you can get through them is sometimes actually CHEAPER than you can get through other "Aussie" ford dealers .. I hope it helps
Cheers
Brett

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
Good to hear Henry is back on the road Kelly.Going well?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts