Ford Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
DigiMoran
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey peoples. i own a xe fairmont ghia, 302, c4, 9 inch. the car had been stolen and since recovered and slowly being rebuilt. the problem i have come across is that when the car is cold, the car wont go into d, or any gear for that matter without a rev, then it clunks quite harshly,the shifter is slightly out of line also. the problem also occurs if i turn a corner, i go to accelerate and its like its in nutual, then it hits gear. as the car warms, the problems fade. im unsure if its a gearbox problem, or perhaps the diff. has anyone heard of this? the gearbox is headin for a rebuild as the engine has been modified however im not sure where to start looking on this one......

·
Old Ford Fan
340 Posts
I'd replace the tranny filter first- and SOON. if its not getting enough oil pressure it will fry clutches in a big hurry. Might not be the problem, but cheapest place to start. you mentioned it had been stolen- wasnt off roaded was it? I got hung up off road in my truck, dented tranny pan a bit- it acted the same way when cold- filter wasnt clogged, but was pinched against the pan- pan wasnt dented that bad, but was enough to almost seal the filter inlet.
Dunno about why it might do it around a corner though- but slipping should be back to either loss of pressure(maybe filter/pickup is loose/missing?) or smoked clutch pack/broken sprag. good luck!

·
Registered
617 Posts
Start with the simple checks.You don't say but is it full of oil??
The next thing would be to check the shifter adjustment.If this is out it can cause serious damage.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts