• It's horrible!

Votes: 1 3.8%
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
In Too Deep...
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
I figured I would try to get this thread rolling. What do you guys think abou the new TBird?? Is it awesome, ok, bad or horrible. Please vote and lets see what the majority of the people on this forum think. :s3

·
Multi Car Owner
927 Posts
From what I ahve seen, all in magzines, the car doesn't have enuff power and the inter/dash/instruments don't look retro at all to me!

·
Ford Member
13 Posts
I love the fact that it doesn't look retro. In fact, my 02 T-bird vanity plate reads "NO RTRO". I think the styling has gone way beyond the fins and 'brows' of the 55-57 roadsters. Frankly, I don't mind that it doesn't compete on the track with the usual testosterone cars. Have you seen the new Thunderbird commercial ? I'd rather be the guy driving away with the girl. :hit:

·
F-150 Member
141 Posts
Very good looking. Haven't driven one. But, being a car nut I'm sure I will very soon.

·
Registered
880 Posts
The new T-Bird rocks. Too bad they are not on sale here in Australia. Still, at least we have the Mustang Cobra ($89,000 Aussie dollars)

·
Probe SE Member
15 Posts
i think it's cool. what would kick ass would be a SVT T-bird. ford needs a car to compete with the 'vette. it could be like in '55.

B

·
0 Posts
SVT-Bird

What is it with you guys about racing birds and vettes?

The new bird wasn't built as a sports car, but as a cruiser-and you have to remember that the Vette couldn't even compete with the Bird when the Birds first hit the streets-the Vettes still had a little 6 cylinder in the front, and would until 1956.

The Thunderbird started what is now considered to be the "Personal Luxury Vehicle" craze.

If you want a Vette killer, get a Roush or Saleen Mustang-they are much lighter than the new Thunderbird-1800 lbs to be exact-and have the performance to whip a vette if they are set up properly.

Tony Poole
VTCI Publications Director

·
Probe SE Member
15 Posts
well, thank you for that bit of history. i'm just tired of seeing mustangs everywhere. they are big and chunky and everyone has them. i want to see a ford sports car. a mustang is NOT a sports car. i want to see a ford two seat roadster that has some power. the only way to get a powerful ford is to build it yourself or pay someone 20,000 dollars on top of the price for an aftermarket conversion. (rousch or saleen) for some reason ford seems to be afraid to build anything with much power. a camaro SS will whip a SVT cobra. and by the way, why would i pay $60,000+ for a saleen S-351, the only one with a chance of beating a vette, when i could buy a car right out of the factory that would kick everythings ass. (Z06) dont get me wrong, i am a ford man, but i just think ford should be a little more aggressive.

·
Registered
10,552 Posts
Sorry to burst your bubble but the SVT Cobra is far faster than the Camaro SS. The 03 cobra is only a hair slower then the Z06 and depending onthe driver they can beat the zo6.

B

·
0 Posts
Hmph-a little more agressive? Have you forgotten also about the Ford GT, or the new Lightning that will debut in 2005, not to mention the fact that the Lightning has been ensconced as "The World's Fastest Production Pickup" by Guiness Book of World Records?

While all the manufacturers are deleting their hi-po vehicles from their lineup-with the exception of Daimler/Chrysler, a company that lost the mystique of high-performance some time ago-Ford is concentrating on bringing us cars that not only meet emissions and safety requirements, they are F-U-N to drive!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
In my opinion the new T-Bird is a decent looking car, but it is too small and too weak. Really if you look at it objectively it was a real screw up. It's a car that has a miniscule market. Who wants to drive a small underpowered car ? Who did they think was going to buy it ? Surely whoever approved it is not approving anymore new cars, or at least they shouldn't be. What a colossal waste of money, it will never break even, much less actually make any money.
The idea of bringing back a "personal luxury car" is a good one, although perhaps not at this exact moment given the current economy. But, it should be large enough to fit 4 people, have a higher roof and be able to accomodate a high performance V8.
Look at the Marauder. That was a rather poorly thought out vehicle as well. That should have been built on a shorter wheelbase, lighter weight chasis and have 2 doors, not 4.
Why not develop a 2 door, shorter wheelbase version of the Panther chasis ? Or maybe a stretched Mustang chasis ?
If they built the Thunderbird on such a chasis and sold it as a sporty luxury car and then offered a high performance version, let's call it the Galaxie 500, they'd sell a hundred thousand in no time. Especially if Mercury used it for a hi-po Marauder and a luxury Cougar.
Am I the only one who see's the need for a mid-sized 2 door chasis ?
Keith

·
BSR Twin System (tm)
4,751 Posts
I would like to see an SVT Thunderbird with a Super Charged V8. I think that would be a pretty nice car.

B

·
0 Posts
Underpowered? I've had my butt handed to me at least 4 times now by 02 Thunderbirds with the 3.9L-and I have a 5.0L HO in mine.

The new Bird was released because Ford wanted to bring back a two-seat boulevard cruiser-buy one of the Taurus SES if you want a sporty 4-door. The Marauder was designed to be a hi-po hauler that could carry 5 people-Lincoln already has a performance 2 door.

I believe that Ford Motor Company is approaching the idea of building autos in a new way-let each segment of the company specialize in a particular area. You want a $80k two seat convertible that will do 0-60 in under 7 seconds-buy a Jag..........you get the idea.

·
Registered
10,552 Posts
Birdman93 said:
I believe that Ford Motor Company is approaching the idea of building autos in a new way-let each segment of the company specialize in a particular area. You want a $80k two seat convertible that will do 0-60 in under 7 seconds-buy a Jag..........you get the idea.
GM did this with their brands. Ask the Camaro Brand Manager how his line is going. :p

GM split it up so much they lost control of how and what to sell to the market. I hope that Ford does not go this route, but if they do then by all means keep everything inline and not lose site of the market.

·
Old Ford Fan
340 Posts
When I first saw pics of the first new tbirds, I loved it. When I saw the first one for real, it seemed kinda bland. Without the 'eyebrows' on the headlights, its a bit too round for me...only other thing, all the new cars have 'flat' front drive like wheels- if the new tbird had a 'torque-thrust d' look alike wheel- like on the bullitt special edition mustang gt, I think it would add dramatically to its overall look. I had a calendar with a pic of a 55 tbird convertible, red, with old torque-thrust d wheels- was one of the best looking cars I have ever seen(other favorites: the GT40's, 69 Mustangs-especially like the 69/70 shelby front end...want one for mine someday).
The new gt40 I really like- mostly because it 'looks' the same as the original. the tbird's 'retro' styling is a little weak.
I really hope the gt40 copycat styling thing catches on- with all the hubub about the new mustangs '69-ish' front end, just think how many they'd sell if they made the whole car 'look' like a 69? I really wish they'd take the files away from the guys in the model/styling department- need to put some edges/corners back on these cars!
Imagine how the new gt40 would look if they smoothed the rear kickup/spoiler off. what if they smoothed the side scoops? it just wouldnt look as good.
If I had a choice between a 2005 styled Tbird, and a 1955 styled, with 2005 drivetrain, I'd opt for the '55. How about you?

·
Old Ford Fan
340 Posts
tbird poll

repeat:
If I had a choice between a 2005 styled Tbird, and a 1955 styled, with 2005 drivetrain, I'd opt for the '55. How about you?
just curious on peoples opinion on which is better looking

1 - 18 of 18 Posts