Ford Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Australian Ford Member
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe I've been spoilt by being used to older cars where you could more or less see what you're working on and it wasn't necessary to dismantle half the motor to get at something simple, but on looking at my 3.9mpi I think I'm going to need rubber arms and 12inch fingers with tiny tools (tiny automotive tools, not the other type) to get at things like the starter motor top bolt and coil and distributor.

Step one for easy access looks like remove the intake manifold.

Anyone got any tricks for access to the accessories under the intake manifold, apart from extension bars and flex drives and universal joints and crescent spanners and lots of swearing, or are they just hard to get at?

PS Why did Ford move the starter from the right to left of the motor? Surely the cat and steering linkages could have been designed to fit with the starter where it used to be.

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
From experience, the dizzy looks harder to get to than it really is. You will be surprised when you apply your determination (and lots of profanity).

·
BSR Field Agent
578 Posts
Hey!! I have a 9mm Eagle Eliminator Coil lead sitting in the boot for the same reason.... It appears I will need "very" long nose plier's and a real lot of patience..

Nipper...

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Taking the intake off is more trouble then it's worth. Anyway what's wrong with the Falcon engine bay? You ever seen a Mitsubishi Starwagon V6 van? Or a late model Merc or current Rover? Makes the Falcon look easy!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts