Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
EL Fairmont Ghia Member
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shell has changed their policy on optimax pricing. It was originally meant to only be either a 6.5 or 7 cents a litre difference. But in times of recent fuel prices dropping, they have kept the difference at 12.5 cents, and just changed it today to 10 cents. This in my opinion is bloody criminal. I spoke to the person at the servo, they too had complained, and said that the regional manager said, bad luck, tis company policy. Well that aint good enough. I got myself a feedback form, told them what I think, and shall send it in tomorrow. I think that others here who use opitmax should do the same.

In the meantime I shall switch back to Snergy 8000, dont get as much mileage, but hell at the moment is about 5 cents cheaper!!!!

Jas

·
Crazed Cone Chaser
2,524 Posts
Whats the diff between optimax and synery 8000, I thought thay were both 98.

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
I gave up using Optimax a while ago - for that reason. Stay away from the pumps! It's the best way of telling them what you think.

·
EL Fairmont Ghia Member
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
(\/)ADXF said:
Whats the diff between optimax and synery 8000, I thought thay were both 98.
Both are 98 octane, but I get better fuel economy from Optimax, I have no ideal why. Have a mate with a worked XF, he gets better economy from Optimax too over Synergy 8000.

Jas

·
EL Fairmont Ghia Member
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
XLR8 said:
Still only 6-7c difference here.......get on to them though:eek:
Fuel was 79.5 cents litre down here Sunday, yet I had to pay 92.5 cents for Optimax. Didn't realise until almost filled up. So I enquired.........

Jas

·
Australian EB Fairmont Ghia Member
1,151 Posts
Up here at Belmont today fuel was 77.9c... optimax was 84.9c

·
Crazed Cone Chaser
2,524 Posts
Well if anyone wants to get synergy8000, the mobil servo near my house has it for 85.?.
I live in Noble Park so if anyone wants it, go get it.

I really like what TripleM are doing, with their traffic weather and radar report, how they also let you know where cheap fuel is.

Paul.

·
Rail Rider
1,248 Posts
Bah! you have it good.

Fuel(ULP) is 99cent a litre here(was 1.03 a week ago) and 'optimax' is about 1.05c a litre now.

BTW i'm in Cowra, Central West of NSW. 105km SW of Bathurst.

·
Read Only
1,395 Posts
I know what you're talking about Jas.
I'm not that far from you, and on the weekend I decide to go for a spin in MY car which I don't get to drive too much. As usual,despite my pleadings to the missus to fill up during the early/middle of the week, it's near empty. Straight to Shell to fill up, what's the price...$102.9 bugger it. Normal unleaded at the time, 90.3c or something like that. The gap's growing. Makes the other premium's a little more attractive, especially Mobil.
Russell.

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Not real sure but I think the difference is only about 5 cents between the optimax and standard down here. (91.5 ULP)

·
CEO - The BSR Group
4,400 Posts
Well here in the land of cheap juice, regular is currently 73.5, and Optimax sitting where it always does at exactly 7c more. Caltex premium is good value, only 3c more.

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,540 Posts
Guys,
From what i heard from a mate who was petrol auditor guy, the fuel we get at all petrol stations are all the same they mainly source it from the Caltex refinery and shell in north paramatta since there the two refinery's in NSW, the rest of the fuel comes from interstate.
From what my mate said the standard unleaded is same for every station except the elcheapo stuff, like the Woolies fuel and the otherdodgy brands. If the 98 Ron fuels are different what do they do, do they just mix an additive to the fuel pending on brand or do the brands have their own fuel. I'm guessing these 98 fuels are all the same. :confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Aussie Falcon Enthusiast
478 Posts
Re the fuel economy difference I believe Optimax is suposed to be a denser fuel than the others which accounts for the ~10% that many people find when they run it.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
So what is the difference between the el cheapo Woolies/Burmah etc fuels and the normal Shell/Caltex etc. I run my EB (stock 6) on Woolies fuel all the time (2c off with supermarket docket) and have never had a problem.

·
Rail Rider
1,248 Posts
Falchoon said:
So what is the difference between the el cheapo Woolies/Burmah etc fuels and the normal Shell/Caltex etc. I run my EB (stock 6) on Woolies fuel all the time (2c off with supermarket docket) and have never had a problem.

I get the wollies fuel to here where I live. The Caltex truck drives up and delivers the fuel. I thought it was imported fuel...go figure.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Woolies petrol from what ive seen in Canberra is delivered in Woolies trucks and I could be wrong but the petrol is from Malaysia??.

Tried it in a few cars and neither of them responded well to it, fuel economy was about the same but the cars were real sluggish to rev. It may have been a bad batch but ive never used it again.

I dont think its worth saving .5c/litre over cheap and possibly dodgy fuel.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Mate of mine blew the tops of a couple of pistons in his Lancer GSR using an early batch of optimax, granted running 20 psi but he had run that much boost for a while before hand with no problems. He asked Shell about it and was told that some cars, turbo ones was the impression, shouldn't use optimax as it burns hotter! The bloke who did the engine swap found that the fuel had some crap in it and also had a number of other cars with the same problem. I never had any problem useing the stuff, only the half lead and now LRP gave the pizzabomb the dramas.

·
gone
10,402 Posts
VilkasMaximus said:
Shell has changed their policy on optimax pricing. It was originally meant to only be either a 6.5 or 7 cents a litre difference. But in times of recent fuel prices dropping, they have kept the difference at 12.5 cents, and just changed it today to 10 cents. This in my opinion is bloody criminal. I spoke to the person at the servo, they too had complained, and said that the regional manager said, bad luck, tis company policy. Well that aint good enough. I got myself a feedback form, told them what I think, and shall send it in tomorrow. I think that others here who use opitmax should do the same.

In the meantime I shall switch back to Snergy 8000, dont get as much mileage, but hell at the moment is about 5 cents cheaper!!!!

Jas
I agree mate, optimax is not worth it at the end of the day when compared to the s8000..

however I have found that beast needs a tank of otimax every 6 just to stop the pinging!

·
I want a turtle!
2,635 Posts
optimax vs synergy

I stopped using Optimax in April.

I had my car on the dyno at Croydon Autosports with an almost empty tank of Synergy and got 130kw.
I then drove down to the shell and filled up with optimax, and jumped on the dyno again, and only managed 124kw.

I had my chip tuned in on optimax anyway. About 10 days later (my 2nd tank of optimax) The pinging got really bad, so I topped up with synergy, and threw in some 104+ Octane booster, and that seemed to fix it up.

I got my car retuned in on synergy about a week later and havent had any pinging problems since then.

Dont know if it is just the local servo selling dodgy optimax or not... but I prefer not to touch it now (plus I get an extra 20+ k's a tank with synergy)

:)
Kelli S

1 - 20 of 21 Posts