Ford Forums banner

Have FTR made the right decision to race 1 car in 2002?

• YES

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • NO

Votes: 10 55.6%
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a shock move, Ford Tickford Racing will race only one car in next years Shell Series championship. The decision came after FTR continues to struggle on track and match rival HRT. Sponsors will have 3 months to decide what they will do, and if they'll stay together and continue supporting the blue oval team. Team manager Glenn Steton believes this move will benefit the team as they can concentrate on the one car and hopefully win a shell series title again like in 93 and 97 when he was a sole driver.

·
Australian AUII XR8 Member
153 Posts
Here is the full text of the press release, although it doesn't really say much more than what was posted.

Would love to see Seton back at the front of the field, hope next season goes well for him and his team.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
December 11 2001

FTR to Consolidate in 2002

Ford Tickford Racing (FTR) has announced that it will consolidate its program for 2002 in an effort to secure Glenn Seton his third V8 Shell Series title, and his first Bathurst 1000 win.

The major change is the decision to run one car, channelling all the team's efforts into making sure the team can return to the winning lists.

At the end of November FTR announced that the driver of car #6, Steve Richards, had been released from his current two-year contract to pursue other racing interests.

The decision to announce the one-car operation before the end of December is to allow the team and its sponsors at least three months to plan for the 2002 season.

This is a decision that was not taken lightly, said Managing Director and driver of #5 Glenn Seton.

We need to get our team back to the heights of 1993 and 1997 when I took the V8 title, said Seton.

Our sponsors are fully aware of the direction the team is heading and we feel it will put us truly back in a position to win races and challenge for the title.

I'll campaign the same Ford Falcon AUXR8 Supercar which I qualified on the front row at Bathurst.

The team will have a fresh new look for the team in 2002, a new paint scheme and other details will be announced after the New Year.

FTR will be one of the best-equipped teams to tackle the 2002 season, with at least two fully prepared racecars as well as seven engines and an extensive range of spares.

With the season to run from March through to December once again in 2002, FTR's hardware as well as technical expertise will be envied by most teams in the V8 Championship.

Stephen Rowe
RaceTime
Melbourne Australia
email: [email protected]
web : http://www.racetime.com.au

·
The SparkleHunter™
10,144 Posts
I think it's sad. I also think it's just plain wrong. I can fully understand why FTR are doing it, but having said that it doesn't look real good for Ford or Tickford really.

Glenn is one of the nicest, funniest blokes in the championship so I wish him and the team all the best for 2002. He's still my favourite driver. :thup:

·
1 bad 302
963 Posts
That is a shame,as he is also my favourate,sure hope he gets back up front(as i sit looking at a limited edition wall-mounted block poster of glenn,whilst wearing my glenn seton hat).

Go Glenn,2002 is yours. Go Glenn,2002 is yours.

·
Mr. Embargo
3,745 Posts
Damn nearly fell over when I read the press release. Lets hope this strategy works for Glenn and the team.

·
Shhh, we're hunting Lions
1,610 Posts
On the bright side he is going to have alot of resources and money to put into his car.
I have to say I wouldn't be suprised if FTR did well next season.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
it's a very bad move for FTR, with such limited testing and the introduction of a new tyre they just can't compete with teams that will be getting twice the data (or in TWR's car 4 times the data) take the first practice of a weekend, a two car team can send two cars out with different setups then look at the data so see which worked best, a one car team however is effectively 1 practice session behind already and as the weekend / year goes by the data just isnt there.

For every lap of practice Seton does next year, TWR does 4!!! going to make it very tough!!

·
Read Only
1,395 Posts
Whats the deal with that?!!
Fancy the official Ford race team only having one car. Like Bof said, it's going to make it hard in setup and development Vs the other crowd. I do hope Seto goes well next race season. I also hope Richo doesn't go back to the Dark Side.
I'm just worried it'll make the FTR team look like a joke compared to the red brigade.
Russell.

·
Tickford Ruled; FPV Rocks
1,457 Posts
It's funny, I saw the news report on the Ozemail Team, and Brad Jones was saying now that they are a two car team, they're truly playing in the big time now and can take the fight up to the likes of HRT (or words to that effect). Funny statement that, in light of FTR reverting to a one car team! Does that mean in order for a team to be seen as an 'elite' team they require two cars by definition?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Rastus said:
Whats the deal with that?!!
Fancy the official Ford race team only having one car.
Russell.
The way I read it there was no factory involvement from Ford or Tickford except for the sponsorship.
I don't expect to see Glenn rise up like Lazarus next year.
Too many other good Ford teams to beat with better team structures.

·
Registered
880 Posts
HP Dude said:
It's funny, I saw the news report on the Ozemail Team, and Brad Jones was saying now that they are a two car team, they're truly playing in the big time now and can take the fight up to the likes of HRT (or words to that effect). Funny statement that, in light of FTR reverting to a one car team! Does that mean in order for a team to be seen as an 'elite' team they require two cars by definition?
Yeah i saw that as well on the 10 news. When does the Ford/Tickford sponsership deal expire?

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Space Lord said:

Yeah i saw that as well on the 10 news. When does the Ford/Tickford sponsership deal expire?
Well I thougth it was some time in 2002, but there have been reports there are two years left.

Shaking head now

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
It appears as though it is 2003.

Auto action front page article next page.

Interesting reading. Sounds to me as thought Glenn got the shaft. Reading between the lines it isn't a real good attitude ford have either. Results are one thing but when it comes to racing loyalty is another.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts