Ford Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Australian EL Wagon Member
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have an EL Futura station wagon (Series 1) and I'm looking at getting as much out of her as possible. She's only a 6, but I want to keep her that way. obviously S/C is an option but I don't want to do that quite yet - I'd rather do all the preparations to accommodate for that - ie exhaust, LPG converter, throttle body (from GRA methinks) and then bigger brakes etc.

However, my question is that the AU's are geared differently to the EL's, and I was wondering how to get that performance into my EL (excuse my lameness!) I figure new drive train bits etc?

Anywho, any info would be appreciated - and even places that I should be looking at too !

Thanx in advance,
Steve

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
dcstraight said:

However, my question is that the AU's are geared differently to the EL's, and I was wondering how to get that performance into my EL (excuse my lameness!) I figure new drive train bits etc?

geared different? this might be the case but it sure doesnt do anything to set the world alight, a stock AU and EL with same transmission will run lineball, the AU sure hasnt got an performance advantage over an EL or EF. I havent driven an EL for a while now but I think if anything they felt to have a little bit over the AU's

·
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi BOF 351,

Thanx for the insight. Well I guess I can be mistaken, but either way, I guess I just want to get more out of my 6. I guess I'll pay more attention to that other thread dedictated to doing up stock 6's :)

Oh, but one more question you might be able to help me with - I am looking at getting exhaust done pretty soon - I'm thinking stainless 2.25 inch with straight through mufflers etc. I already have some pacemaker headers fitted to the current factory setup - do you think stainless is worth going all out for ? Perhaps bearing in mind that I'm running LPG and may consider charging further down the track...a lot further most likely! - hehe

Thanx in advance,
Steve

·
Shh i'm huntin more power
1,764 Posts
Pacemakers are a good start, now you need to get the rest. You don't really need stainless from the cat back, mild steel is fine for that. Stainless will last a bit longer though....

·
Registered
698 Posts
I got 2.5inch from cat back for $260, with a cyclone and Hotdog mufflers, (not stainless), but at that price, I thought I could easily afford to replace the exhaust if it rusted through. I think stainless was about double that amount ???
Yeah, noticed a big difference straight away !!!!

How much were the pacemaker headers ????

·
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got the headers installed for ~$400 including labour etc. I'm unsure to whether I should go stainless or not - longevity is appealing, but I'll have to see how much it's gonna cost. I guess along with 'zorst' I'll need straight through mufflers and the like which will ark up the cost a bit. Anywho - anyone's thoughts appreciated !

Oh and while I'm here, can anyone recommend some kind of 'big brake upgrade' and who to go to in Meloburne ?

Thanks again guys 'n' gals,
Steve

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
Brakes.. If you spend over $2k you can do the latter AU's. Or do what most do get D.B.A slotted rotors and good pads.Bendix ultimate's Under $300. If you do it yourself..

·
300+rwkw DC LTD Member
1,622 Posts
Stainless

I'd only go stainless if ya going to keep the car for a long time. Otherwise IMO ya wasting money. I did this with my old XB full stainless exhaust, and it outlasted the car.
Ford should've made stainless coupes..... :)

Also, I'd only go straight through if ya want the noise. Try one of each. But then again exhaust noise isn't a problem for you.

·
ST170ish
610 Posts
dcstraight welcome to Fordforums, you wont want to get a loud exhaust system...

·
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi all,

Thanks for the speedy replies :) Brakes wise, I just want awesome stopping power as the wagon is a pretty heavy rider. I bought tickford 16" wheels with the mindset of fitting bigger calipers etc - does it sound feasible to do this or just replace the rotors and the pads ?

Exhaust : I do intend on keeping her for a little longer, but what type of longevity would I be looking at for stainless - ie 5 years + opposed to semi stainless of significantly less than 5 years - i doe no ?

Hiya rolfy - it's a small world ! ;-)

Cheers,
Steve

1 - 10 of 10 Posts