Ford Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after spending 3 days and almost all of my cash fixing various things on my car I finally had it running sweet. This morning i went headed off to clarke rubber to buy some shit, got 1/2 wat there and the low coolant ligt came on, so i pulled over and wouldnt u know it, nice big split in the side of the radiator! Now with basicly no cash (about $60) i have yet another problem to fix. So.. anyone got or know where i can get a cheep radiator in Melbourne please? Ive used some chemiweld to slow the leak but i cant drive more than 2 or 3 ks without having to refil so my options are limited :(
Thanks!

·
The Shopping car !!
44 Posts
I'm in sydney so thats no help ! but, leave the radiator cap half undone, so the pressure DOESNT build up... should help the water stay in longer. keep an eye on the temp guage though ! best of luck finding a cheap rad !

·
BA'o'Matic 100% working.
3,838 Posts
If its not too bad, get some of that sellys repair stuff in a tube (NOT spack filler), its like putty, you mould it and then it goes hard, you can get one with metal through it, that should seal and hold it for a while, i have used it before, saved me a new radiator, although i didnt slpit like you have.

Jason

·
feed me hey
4,692 Posts
no the 6 radiators are only 2 core. 8's are 3. The XR6 might have gotten the V8 radiator. it got the V8 brake booster and a few other bits so its possible it has the radiator. Do yourself a favour and get an EF V8 if you buy a new one. It'll have thermo mounting holes (well all of them).

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Is it just the plastic end tank split? Cause you can replace them seperately. Shouldnt cost more than $60

·
300+rwkw DC LTD Member
1,622 Posts
I might have my old radiator lying around.

Want it?

It Hyper space in Vic??????

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fixed it, ripped off and replaced both side tanks, $110 later.
You should have seen the shit in there and i gave it a massive flush under 2 weeks ago.
Car is runnin sweet, and cooler than ever. After a week of messing around with varoius things all it needs now is a tune. Anyone know howmuch for a dyno tune?
Thanks for ya help fellas.
PHoeNiX_

·
WHAT ARE U LOOKIN AT RAT!
118 Posts
Good to hear u got away with it cheaply (sort of anyway) and its runnin well. I want to get my cooling system running better.

I know this is most proboly wrong but is flushing the radiator a matter of unplugging it at the bottom and letting it all drain out, putting a hose or something through it and some flush, and then filling it back up with coolant and water??? i want to do this to my car and my brothers car (a vt) any idea? sorry about stealing the thread but i thort i could sneak in a quicke!

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thats the dodgy way yer.
I used nulon radiator flush and clean. Put it in the radiator and ran the car for about 25 min with the heater on as per the instructions. Then undo the hoses let the water run out. THe in pull the bugger out. (Its only 2 bolts and the hoses) then jam the hose in as far as i can get it and turn it on full pressure.
Drain all the water and sludge out and do the same to the other end of it. Keep doin it till u see no more crap come out and put it all bak together. Fill with water, start the car and check for leaks.
However I recommend u take it and get it done professionally for piece of mind.
PHoeNiX

·
feed me hey
4,692 Posts
The only real way to cean them it to take the tanks off and use rods. Dipsticks are good to do this with.

·
The Shopping car !!
44 Posts
NZ- are you SURE the v8's got a 3core ? i dont think they did in EB,d or EF or EL. There are a few differences in the underbody and "beside radiator" plastic shrouds for the v8, and more "fins per inch" on the factory rads, but i dont think they are 3 core.
Even so - my EB XR8 has had the standard factory 2 core in it without problems, until it cracked the plastic side tank. Another standard 2 core "6 cyl" went in (with thermos while i was at it - mainly to keep the aircon cooler !) and its fine. I NEVER had heat problems witht he totally standard setup, but evrything was in good condition.
E series radiators have PLENTY of area, so 3 core is just waaaay overkill, if EVERYTHING ELSE IS FINE in the cooling system.

·
feed me hey
4,692 Posts
RichardXR8: I am 90% sure they were uprated but Ill check it out. I have been known to been wrong before!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts