Ford Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2000 grand marquis ls with handling package, magnaflow mufflers,dual exhaust, 3.55 rear axle
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you are wondering why this is good news ,it is because if the timing chain is not the source of my engine noise, then it is probably a much more serious problem like a rod knocking. The tensioners appeared to be all the way extended but still could not keep the chain tight because I could take my fingers and tap the chain and it would slap against the guide and make quite a loud noise. The chain had worn all the way through the nylon on the guide and all the way through the aluminum too and had started wearing off the top of the tensioner piston. I sure hope this fixes the problem because I decided that while I had it apart I would put new spark plugs, coil packs, radiator hoses, belt, belt tensioner and idler pully and new anti freeze and thermostat. I could end up with a bad engine with a lot of new parts bolted to the front of it.

·
Registered
2000 grand marquis ls with handling package, magnaflow mufflers,dual exhaust, 3.55 rear axle
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I need to get into mine this summer. Is it a difficult job?
For me it has been somewhat difficult but I am almost 68 years old and cant see very good. The hardest part was getting the valve covers off. I put the new chains on this evening. I sure hope I can get it all back together. I unhooked a whole lot of wires and tubes to get access to the valve covers and front cover.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Please let us know how it goes. My p71 rattles a bit when cold and low on power. Everything else is great, oil pressure etc.
Well I was able to get everything back together without incident. Luckily the ford engineers made the wiring harness so that the wires only reach the spots they are supposed to go. I even cleaned up all the parts and the engine bay so it would look all clean and new. I started it up and it is making exactly the same noise it was before. At this point I do not know what else it could be but a loose rod bearing. I do not know if it is possible, but I am thinking if I jack up the motor maybe I can get the oil pan off and see if any of the rod bearings are loose.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts