Ford Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
I want a turtle!
2,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I noticed a funny grinding noise coming from the steering wheel this afternoon.

When I turn the wheel, it sounds like something is scratching, or a bearing is gone (is there bearings behind the wheel?)

Its not the power steering, cos it makes the noise even when the car is turned off.

Anyone have any idea's??

P.S. a friend of mine asked me to check if the horn still works, and it does.

·
Super Moderator
3,754 Posts
Have you got cruise control fitted? If so, you probabley need to clean then lubricate with electrical grease (or silicon grease) the slip rings under the steering wheel (dust gets attached to grease makes grinding noise - esp if driving on lots of gravel roads).

·
How bloody Hot is it ??!!
264 Posts
Grinding noise from Behind steering wheel? Would that be the teeth of a driver trying to work out where the noise is coming from ??

·
Australian Ford Member
1,120 Posts
Check the trim cover hasn't shifted, although that usually produces just a sort of brushing/rubbing noise rather than anything like a bearing is gone.

·
I want a turtle!
2,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Aussiblue said:
Have you got cruise control fitted? If so, you probabley need to clean then lubricate with electrical grease (or silicon grease) the slip rings under the steering wheel (dust gets attached to grease makes grinding noise - esp if driving on lots of gravel roads).
I do have cruise control... (its the ED Momo wheel) but dont drive on gravel roads..

will check it out though...

·
I want a turtle!
2,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Some people hav suggested it might be one of the bushes behind them steering wheel.... will find out tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
My Steering Wheel (Like Kelli's its a Factory Momo with Cruise) squeaks when I turn the wheel, is this a similar problem too?:eek:o1:

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
XR8chic said:
Some people hav suggested it might be one of the bushes behind them steering wheel.... will find out tomorrow.
Any luck with it Kelli?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts