Ford Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, today this happened to my 1993 Ford Tempo: I turned the car over, it started up fine. However, the "brake" warning light on the dash wouldn't turn off, even though the brake was off. The radio had no power. I drove it home.

Then, whenever I got there, the real problem started. The vehicle made a strange grinding noise when I shifted it into park. I couldn't really tell if the neighbor was fighting his lawnmower, or if it was the car. So I pulled it back into drive; it thunked hard into place. When I put it in park, it again made the horrible grinding noise until I turned off the car.

Does anybody know what is wrong with it? Is this a cable issue, or do might I have to replace the transmission or something? (It drove fine.)

Thanks a lot!

·
Super Moderator
8,100 Posts
First thing I'd do is check the fluid condition, if the fluid is questionable, drop the pan and check the filter. The brake light also concerns me, since it may be interlocked with the transmission. There should be some sort of a switch (generally on the engagement mechanism for the e-brake) that closes when the brake handle or pedal is off it's released state.

·
Super Moderator
20,081 Posts
Check brake fluid level . Check shifter cable / linkage for wear as it could be the transmission parking pawl not fully engaging or releasing and rattling off ring gear teeth ?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts