Ford Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 E-series (150) van that is a campervan conversion. I am not an automotive person at all so am completely clueless. The cabinetry is on the drivers side but otherwise weight is pretty evenly distributed. At about 110,000 miles I bought it and it needed an new rear axel because there was a groove cut in the metal of the axel that caused fluid to leak out, so you could see the fluid all over the place to know I had the problem. The guy who did the replacement went to pick and pull - but that axel had the start of the same groove in it, so I went with a new axel. It had old brakes and original shocks if that matters. At 124,000 miles, I got new shocks and brakes put on by a friend, and he saw some fluid but didn't understand the issue. Now at 128,000, my van is in the shop with leaking fluid from the rear axel passenger side, and they found a new groove and I need a new axel again. Any clue what can cause this? Is that something kind of normal because the guy at the shop said "Well, this axel was in stock, so I bet these get replaced a lot). Should just budget $700 or so every few years to replace it and suck it up?

·
Super Moderator
9,477 Posts
I have never heard of this issue. Do you have some pics?

·
Administrator
8,557 Posts
Its a wear issue thats not uncommon. You can either get a offset (axle repair bearing) that will ride of a different spot of the axle to reuse the old or replace the axle with new and use a stock bearing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts