Ford Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Life-long Ford guy...
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The lights for my dash and air handler/temperature controls have gone dim, but occasionally they come back to full power.

Might be the bulbs, but it acts like a loose ground wire.

Where can I find the ground wire attachment points for my truck?

2010 Ranger XLT 4x4
Automatic transmission

Thanks in advance,
Rick

·
Life-long Ford guy...
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes sir. I've fiddled with the switch. It works as intended, but when on full bright, the dash lights are "scattered."

I watched a youtube video about how to change the bulbs and can do that chore, but I still want to know where to check to make sure the fasteners are tight at the ground points.

·
Super Moderator
8,378 Posts
Free electrical schematics are hard to come by these days. You might want to consider AllDataDIY, I had it for our Pontiac and when the Jeep runs out of Warranty, I'll probably get a subscription for that.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The secondary ground is the ground normally used for the interior/exterior lights, gauges & on some models the ac clutch and alternator.Its usually a flat braided strap that runs from the block,cylinder head (rear) or lower intake rear bolt to a factory installed stud in the center or driver side of the firewall.So check this ground for your issue.If this is indeed your secondary ground & if its loose,corroded,severed or disconnected,your temp gauge needle will normally increase slightly as you begin turning electrical accessories like your headlights,ac,wipes on.If your dimmer switch,when moved to the far right position, seems to increase the brightness,equally,of all of the lights that are controlled by it,but none of them ever reach total brightness,the dimmer switch itself is likely faulty.If some lights are brighter than others,the switch is probably not to blame.I would also disconnect the switch harness & check the terminals on both the switch & the harness plug to make sure corrosion isnt present,since it can alter the signal leaving the switch & reduce the light output.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts