Ford Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I have discovered an undocumented feature with the Cruise Control in my GTP - either that or its faulty!

When in 1st or 2nd gear (Manual trans) the C/Control will not engage even though the car is above 40 kM/H. Shift to 3rd...engages no problem!

Checked the Owners Manual, and can't seem to find anything that would explain this....just the usual "will not engage at speeds below 40k's etc etc.

I only discovered this while going through a longish school zone and the cruise would not engage...which I put down to the car being at, but not over 40 k's. I then tried after the school zone to engage the cruise whilst at 60 k's in second etc......

Check yours out and let me know what you find - autos as well!

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
I'm pretty sure that the cruise control will not operate till you reach the speed of at least 60ks.
Cheers John

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
GTP 320 said:
I'm pretty sure that the cruise control will not operate till you reach the speed of at least 60ks.
Cheers John
The book says 40, and thats my experience too - in 3rd/4th/5th etc

Go and get in your car now and see if you can get it to engage in 1st/2nd

·
THE PHANTOM
251 Posts
Mine's the same, I just figured you shouldn't be cruising in second gear. However it wold be nice to set it for 25kph roadworks. I find it very hard to hold that speed for any length of time.

·
Banned
363 Posts
FANTM1 said:
Mine's the same, I just figured you shouldn't be cruising in second gear. However it wold be nice to set it for 25kph roadworks. I find it very hard to hold that speed for any length of time.
All cruise controls on all cars that I have driven, holden, ford, mitsubishi, honda all go on at 40km/h. As for the gears, it is the same in the auto, if you change down into 2nd or 1st then the cruise control wont engage, it is to do with the suggested speeds for gears.

·
Beastmaster
940 Posts
sniper545 said:
try 40km/h in 3rd, what happens?
It just bumbles along nicely....

One of my "GT-P is great" demos is to shift into 3rd (manual) slow to 20km/h then lift left foot up and stand on noise pedal.
It will accelerate nicely up to just under 160km/h with no fuss or jitter (on a racetrack not the road of course)

·
3dr zeTEC
222 Posts
There you have it burnsi, I'm trying to have a rev limiter button for those school zones 'cause I have a bad habit of creeping above the 40k limit. I think if I left my car in 1st and had a rev limit button set at 3000rpm, that should do the trick!

·
Beastmaster
940 Posts
Always amazes me that the dickheads we have in government would rather you stared at the speedo near a school to ensure that you don't do 41 km/h rather that actually look outside and be aware of the group of anklebiters playing tag or football on the footpath so you can react if one or several get in the way.

·
3dr zeTEC
222 Posts
I think I read somewhere (on this site I think) "building a world class highway in Australia and putting a 110km/h speed limit on it is like building a super model, and not putting any holes in her! VERY FRUSTRATING!
anyway flappist, that's why I want the rev limit button on my focus, so I don't have to watch the speedo; hard enough dodging fun loving, rumbustious innocent kids as it is without all these other things we need to keep an eye on!

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
sniper545 said:
try 40km/h in 3rd, what happens?
40 in 3rd is fine

·
Registered
15 Posts
Mine's the same - cruise only available in 3rd, 4th & 5th (over 40 clicks). Push into neutral, or 1st, 2nd gear and it will not set. This prevents engine over-run if you go for neutral without the clutch.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts