Ford Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Saving for a BA XR6t
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a bit confused here mabye you guys can clear some things up. If we get the GT back then where will it sit in the lineup? I suppose my main question is:

Will the GT sit at the top of Ford's performance lineup, above XR8. In which case the T-series will be even more powerful (+costly) extensions of this?
or
Will the GT be sold by Tickford as it's top performance car? (and priced accordingly)

thanks,

·
In a blue Galaxy
5,716 Posts
Yep, agreed totally Ford Man.
GT v GTS
TS50 v Senator
TE50 v Clubsport
TL50 v Grange
???? V Maloo ( I wish they had a TU50 )

·
Australian TE50 AU1 Member
194 Posts
Right on cobber I mean Cobra, Tickford have to take HSV head on, no pussy footing around, anything they can do we can do better. The thought of a GT pumping out 300kw+ sets the tingles on me spine into overtime!

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Now question about what the Gt will be up against. I just wonder what equipment level they will have. Rumours suggest a stripped out model!

·
CEO - The BSR Group
4,400 Posts
Ok prepare for my $0.03c (GST's a b!tch) opinion! :D

GT : Replaces TS50. Similiar spec but obviously with more engine.
GTHO : 2 options here I reckon..

(1) A stripper version for strictly balls-out hard driving, priced similiarly to the TE50. Uprated suspension, brakes, clutch, 18" wheels as standard with 19" a no-cost option. Extra guages, racing seats (or at least more of a racing style). Blueprinting option for more grunt. Somewhere around $60-65,000.

(2) Luxo version, TS50 spec + TS50 options as standard. Top spec engine with same suspension brakes and clutch as the stripper version. Leather luxo interior with all the sat-nav etc. Priced in line with the GTS.

Could be the go! :thumbup:

·
The SparkleHunter™
10,144 Posts
I likes mike!!... Youngs blokes would love to go the stripper version while the "elder gentlemen" with a bit of brass may go for the luxo version. Good thinking 99!!

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Personally I like Cobras blueprint myself. Although any GT name plate that has a tag of 65k has my vote.

I think the TS needs to stay against the senator

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I think the GT should combine all the luxo fruit Ford can get in there with all the grunt it needs to beat the BMW M5. A bit like the HSV Senator 300. Yeah it'll cost a bit but GT was the top of the line in the old days and is the car to aspire to. The GTHO can have a bit more grunt with the lower trim level of an XR8. These are premium niche cars which cost heaps to develope so will have to be priced, and equipped, to reflect this. I for one would be happy with an XR8 if I knew that the GT was even better even though it is beyond me.

·
Australian Falcon Member
663 Posts
But you guys are forgetting about the 300+!

what sort of a dent would that be putting into the lineup.. I mean basically its an all balls racer, it should be called Falcon GT instead of 300+

And besides, we're about due for a 30th anniversary GTHO

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
The 300+ is not likely to gain an official spot within the Ford line up. It may be sold in some dealerships but not as a Ford production model.

I am not sure about aiming the GT in the M5 sector. The mistake Ford made in the past was not manning up on the local market sector and allowed HSV to have the game to itself. We need to walk before we run so we have to be looking at our natural opposition first. If we get close to the best in the world in the process then that is great.

We don't have a GTS number in our ranks so the GT should fill that. The GTS comes with a reasonable spec so I would expect the GT to be similar. The rest of the line up would follow the already established T series line up. I would however go with the XR8 as the base for limited run models for the future if only to draw on the Supercar effort.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
What I meant by beating the M5 was have a car with the performance, braking and handling of a sports car, ie a lot better then HSV, with the luxury of an LTD. I just can't decide if it should be understated like the current FTE cars or extroverted like the EL GT. I prefer the understated approach myself but I know people like the 'look at me' cars. Don't forget the HSV GTS goes very close to the M5 so I don't think beating it is out of the question.

·
Saving for a BA XR6t
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I agree. I like the understated look of the T-Series. It would be a shame if they had to put wings and bolts and stickers and chrome everywhere to make sales. (im not knock ppl here eho have some of that, or all of it !!) I just think that the HSV's are over the top. But then again, if that's what the majority wants, then that's what they should make.

·
In a blue Galaxy
5,716 Posts
18" wheels as standard with 19" a no-cost option
I think everyone will be opting for the 19" :D

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Hey we're talking about the finest piece of Australian motoring. I think 19" rims standard with 20" as an option. Pricey, yes I've seen the tyre prices, but damm sexy. And the best bit is the guys and girls at Tickford could still get the thing to ride nice and smooth as well as turn in and hang on. Not like HSV!

·
The SparkleHunter™
10,144 Posts
The understated approach obviously doesn't sell cars. T-Series cars need to be in your face like HSV cars are. If you don't want all the bolt on plastic then you should be able to specify this when you are buying from the FTE dealer. This way all folks would be happy with their purchase.

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
FTEfan said:
What I meant by beating the M5 was have a car with the performance, braking and handling of a sports car, ie a lot better then HSV, with the luxury of an LTD. I just can't decide if it should be understated like the current FTE cars or extroverted like the EL GT. I prefer the understated approach myself but I know people like the 'look at me' cars. Don't forget the HSV GTS goes very close to the M5 so I don't think beating it is out of the question.
I agree. I also like the understated look but I also like the other approach as well. To truely get close to a car like the M5 you would have to a seperate chassis to the one that is used in the Falcon. Sure the GTS might come close in some areas and when price it taken into account would probably win but as an overall package with money not a factor it doesn't really come that close at all.

The 19" wheels on the GTS might look good but they create other problems with handling and ride. Holden weren't ready to go that route and from what I hear they still don't have it sorted to the degree that a model fitted with 18" won't kick its ass.
A GT needs performance and probably needs the look at me factor, which goes against the E55 and M5 cars. Putting lifes little luxuries in it also adds weight.

Not sure about this option business either. You start doing too much of this sort of stuff and the price has to go up. Models that are set as far as external kits are concerned has to be less labour intensive and I am sure make it far easier to insure.

I think Ford need to make a decision on what model if any needs to remain understated and leave it at that. My vote would be the TS. Give me twin pipes out the back (each corner) and an attractive set of 18" nice ride height and I would be as happy as a pig in

1 - 18 of 18 Posts