Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to purchase a GT and I can't decide whether to pay for the optional premium sports steering wheel. I drove a typhoon recently and felt that the premium steering wheel was a little fat compared with the stocky steering wheel, however it did feel comfortable. I would like to get some opinions from fellow owners of the two steering wheels. I know it's a personal preference but I have conflicting feelings about the two.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
548 Posts
For F**K sake your getting a GT, YOU HAVE TO HAVE THE SPORTS STEERING WHEEL, It looks better and feels better then the standard one, plus it has the little FPV logo/badge on it. The "fatter” steering wheel is nicer to hold on to, and it has the ridges in the right places for you to hold on to, and during a long drive it's very comfy on the hands, so....... JUST GET ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
780 Posts
snowman said:
I optioned up to the premium wheel and I am very happy that I did. It's very user friendly.
Go the GT wheel, make sure that you get an FPV one though as there is an xr8 sports wheel that is identical to the FPV wheel, the difference to look at is a tiny little FPV badge on the lower left spoke, however the price difference between the two is nearly $1000. MAKE SURE THE WHEEL HAS THE FPV EMBLEM ON IT as half the people in Ford are extremely "steering wheel confused" :AAHHH:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
GT-P002 said:
No doubt about it is a must go for the premium wheel
Definately, the few people I've let drive it the first thing they notice is the wheel they love it, as do I. Gives an extra nice "feel" to the car.
 

·
Beastmaster
Joined
·
940 Posts
If you are buying a new GT for $61,350 + onroads and are looking at a premium wheel maybe you should concider the GT-P

Free on GT-P over GT
Premium wheel $ 950
Brembos $5950
Stripes $ 595
Decal $195
FPV floor mats $200

Total $7890 + 25% LCT ($1970) = $9860
+ $61350 (GT) = $71210

so for -$1010 you also get 19 inch wheels, different body kit, MUCH better seats and it is a model above.

It depends on your budget but there is a lot more car for only a few more dollars.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the advise on the steering wheel. I have considered the GT-P over the GT as I am getting brembo's, stripes, leather, sunroof and the wheel (well I am now). I just like the idea of the GT name over the GT-P. Also I am scared at the prospect of replacing 19" tyres. The leather is an option on the GT-P so it would cost me more than the GT with all the options, but you make a good point. If I was sold on the 19" I probably would lean towards the GT-P but at the moment I'm not.
 

·
Beastmaster
Joined
·
940 Posts
xr220 said:
Thanks for the advise on the steering wheel. I have considered the GT-P over the GT as I am getting brembo's, stripes, leather, sunroof and the wheel (well I am now). I just like the idea of the GT name over the GT-P. Also I am scared at the prospect of replacing 19" tyres. The leather is an option on the GT-P so it would cost me more than the GT with all the options, but you make a good point. If I was sold on the 19" I probably would lean towards the GT-P but at the moment I'm not.
If you don't want the 19s I will give you $1000 + my 18s.
Just sit in a GT-P and then a GT you will see the difference.
As far as the badge I wonder if anyone back in the 70s ordered a GT rather than a GTHO because of the badge? Probably not.

Another thing to consider is resale a GT with a lot of options is worth bugger all more that a povvo GT. This is not GT specific but common with any car.

But it is your money and I am sure you will be happy with whatever you choose.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
Flappist makes a good point about resale value. The reason I went for the GTP, Mark I, was that it was a bit cheaper than optioning up a GT and was the top model with features such as dual climate control, automatic lights, additional interior lighting, etc; all little things but to me meant something. I had an AUII 220kW XR8 that was heavily optioned but it didn't matter much at trade-in time.

As for the steering wheel, I'm with the others, just do it.

Jim Young
 

·
FPV Tasmania Member
Joined
·
961 Posts
flappist said:
If you are buying a new GT for $61,350 + onroads and are looking at a premium wheel maybe you should concider the GT-P

Free on GT-P over GT
Premium wheel $ 950
Brembos $5950
Stripes $ 595
Decal $195
FPV floor mats $200

Total $7890 + 25% LCT ($1970) = $9860
+ $61350 (GT) = $71210

so for -$1010 you also get 19 inch wheels, different body kit, MUCH better seats and it is a model above.

It depends on your budget but there is a lot more car for only a few more dollars.
Different body kit?
I thought the body kits were exactally the same on both the GT and the GTP
I am also now considering the GT over the GT-P because of the cost of replacing both the Brembos and the 19" tyres. I just dont really know if you need the brembos unless you intend to do any trackwork / clubdays
 

·
walking power
Joined
·
3,035 Posts
TS50 said:
Different body kit?
I thought the body kits were exactally the same on both the GT and the GTP
I am also now considering the GT over the GT-P because of the cost of replacing both the Brembos and the 19" tyres. I just dont really know if you need the brembos unless you intend to do any trackwork / clubdays

I believe the gtp's front bumper is solid in the centre part compared to broken up on the gt..........
 

·
Club Phantom
Joined
·
284 Posts
TS50 said:
Different body kit?
I thought the body kits were exactally the same on both the GT and the GTP
I am also now considering the GT over the GT-P because of the cost of replacing both the Brembos and the 19" tyres. I just dont really know if you need the brembos unless you intend to do any trackwork / clubdays

The difference in kits is the front splitter and painted side flutes. Having both a GT and GT-P I can tell you that the difference in braking between the brembos and FPV brakes is considerable and neither of mine see track days nor intend to. Also, the seats are considerably better in the GT-P, you certainly feel more "locked in" compared to the GT. You are right however in relation to replacement costs but if you can afford it I would strongly suggest the GT-P.

You'll be happy either way.
 

·
Beastmaster
Joined
·
940 Posts
Bodykit, front is different (colours and shape) & sides are different colouring

Brembos....
I have read a lot about not needing brembos unless you are into track work. I have over 70,000 km on the GT-P so I have a pretty good idea what it can and can't do with regard to stopping. One of my favorite party tricks when I have a new player in the pax seat is to approach a stop sign or red light at 60 km/h and brake VERY late (usually after they have started to tense up). The GT-P will stop with no lock up or ABS actuation in less than 20m every time.
I have driven quite a number of GTs, Pursuits and one XR6T with premium brakes (local dealer is drinking buddy).
ALL of them feel like the brakes are not working properly. Don't get me wrong they are still very good but it is maybe a bit like driving a XR8 and then a GT, sort of the same but not really.
XRs etc with standard brakes are even worse. I have to make sure I am very consious of the braking capability and not slip into lala mode.
Complacencey can be dangerous...........
 

·
Can't wait for Winton...
Joined
·
2,759 Posts
Haha, with Brembos as your "normal" setting flappist, the brakes in just about any other car are going to be crap!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I also am trading in a au 11 220kw xr 8 with almost every option and the trade in is s**thouse. The dealer is getting series 1 GT's with brembo's and is saying there is hardly a diffenece on trade in from the standard premuim brakes.
 

·
GEARBOX WRECKER
Joined
·
475 Posts
Fordy said:
I believe the gtp's front bumper is solid in the centre part compared to broken up on the gt..........

You got it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
548 Posts
I have these on my GT, 2piece brembo's put on by SEBCO brakes, these are the best investment by far that have gone on the car
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
About this Discussion
27 Replies
20 Participants
bossxr
Ford Forums
Ford Forum is a community to discuss all things Ford. Check out our discussions on the Ford Escape, Mustang, Edge, F-150, Raptor, Explorer, Focus, Fusion, Fiesta and more!
Full Forum Listing
Top