Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Previously Black XR
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to know why a CLK500 with 225kw and a heap of weight seemed to have more grunt than me in my GT 290 witha heap of weight

anyone got any ideas?

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Gearing?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Mercedes quotes the CLK500 at 1660kg's, and 460Nm of torque from 2700-4250 rpm - probably the spread of torque from down low I guess.

They've got 2.82:1 final drive but a 3.59:1 1st gear ratio - Can't seem to find the specs on a GT's ratio's though.

·
Registered
364 Posts
All in the ratio's my dear watson!
I can tell you the GT's will be getting a 3.75 in the near future which will help a little.

Elmer Fudd

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Wheels mag quote 0-100 in 6sec and the 1/4 in 14.1 for the CLK500, about line ball with the GT.

·
Previously Black XR
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ayman said:
what's the point of this thread? Has a CLK put you to shame recently or what?
The point of this thread is to let you know that your dads Benz is as quick as your Australian muscle car

this Benz was catching on take off from about 40 kmh to 130 kmh

Ford still has some work to do

·
More horsepower required
612 Posts
Silver GT said:
The point of this thread is to let you know that your dads Benz is as quick as your Australian muscle car

this Benz was catching on take off from about 40 kmh to 130 kmh

Ford still has some work to do

And how much does this Benz cost ? Alot more than $70000 I bet.
It seems Mercerdes have some work to do in their pricing department .
I wouldn't be too discouraged .

·
Previously Black XR
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fordhead said:
And how much does this Benz cost ? Alot more than $70000 I bet.
It seems Mercerdes have some work to do in their pricing department .
I wouldn't be too discouraged .
I dont think Benz is holding themselves out (with their CLK500) to be a muscle car....whereas the GT is supposed to be a a muscle car.....Im not talking about the money.....I'm talking about the Aura of the car...ie GT- Fast muscle car......SLK dads coupe....safe sure and solid

·
More horsepower required
612 Posts
And the GT may be a muscle car , but its no prestige car. It is ALL about cost.
Mercerdes have the performance , as well as the safety to back it up ( thats why they are a PRESTIGE car )
To top it off , they don't suffer brake shudder , leaky boot seals ..etc .etc.
As for Aura , that died with the GTHO's .

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Just think theres always the CLK55 too....

I wonder if they will also do a CLK 65 with a twin turbo V12?
Will someone lend me a few hundred grand?

·
Registered
610 Posts
Fordhead said:
And the GT may be a muscle car , but its no prestige car. It is ALL about cost.
Mercerdes have the performance , as well as the safety to back it up ( thats why they are a PRESTIGE car )
To top it off , they don't suffer brake shudder , leaky boot seals ..etc .etc.
As for Aura , that died with the GTHO's .
All I will say, AURA as you say died with GTHO's, what alot of rubbish, as you probably dont own a BA GT, you want to spend a day with me and watch how this car of mine, turns heads, gets videoed while driving, gets pulled up by people so they can photograpgh it, I get hasseled by all walks of life, grandpa to children. Its a nightmare somedays to drive to the city and back in it. Dont you worry the GT IS BACK IN A BIG WAY.

·
More horsepower required
612 Posts
GT 522 said:
All I will say, AURA as you say died with GTHO's, what alot of rubbish, as you probably dont own a BA GT, you want to spend a day with me and watch how this car of mine, turns heads, gets videoed while driving, gets pulled up by people so they can photograpgh it, I get hasseled by all walks of life, grandpa to children. Its a nightmare somedays to drive to the city and back in it. Dont you worry the GT IS BACK IN A BIG WAY.
I've owned an XA , XB , and an XR GT. The XR and XA were turning heads 20 to 25 years after they were built The XA was truly a muscle car in all sense of the word , and it went like one .
The BAGT's are indeed a nice car to look at , but they don't have the go for the show unfortunately .
I own a BAXR8 ute and I know what its like to be looked at ..etc etc..but I can tell you this thing will be a beer can in 25 years , unlike the XY's and XA's. They are still driving around , beating your GT , and my ute.
The Aura was created by hosing Holdens at Bathurst and winning 1 and 2 etc , and convincingly at that , something that Ford hasn't done in a LONG LONG time .

Unfortunatley , times have changed and the way a car is made these days is far different to back in the 60's and 70's . The GT maybe back , but it won't be around for 30 years and still hosing cars in 2034.

Maybe i'm just a sentimentalist and can't see past a 351C , toploader and 9 inch diff , as to me , they are the ultimate in Aussie muscle , and my ute , no matter how hard it tries will never be anywhere near it .

·
Registered
301 Posts
Fordhead said:
1. The XA was truly a muscle car in all sense of the word , and it went like one .

2. The BAGT's are indeed a nice car to look at , but they don't have the go for the show unfortunately.

3. I own a BAXR8 ute and I know what its like to be looked at ..etc etc..but I can tell you this thing will be a beer can in 25 years , unlike the XY's and XA's. They are still driving around , beating your GT , and my ute.

4. Unfortunatley , times have changed and the way a car is made these days is far different to back in the 60's and 70's . The GT maybe back , but it won't be around for 30 years and still hosing cars in 2034.

5. Maybe i'm just a sentimentalist and can't see past a 351C , toploader and 9 inch diff , as to me , they are the ultimate in Aussie muscle , and my ute , no matter how hard it tries will never be anywhere near it .

1. Let's see...XY GTHO did 14.0 flat according to Wheels magazine of the day, and the XA wasn't faster. BA GT does 13.9..Mmmm

2. Opinion. But what's the equation??? X looks should equal YY performance?

3. Opinion. But given young blokes are driving around in all sorts of older cars, my guess is the BA GT will be a sort-after older car in 30 years...perhaps more than say a stock Falcon/XR8/similar spec Commie/Camry blah blah blah ??

4. Yes they have, which is why you should live for now and stop pining about a car which you never had (GTHO) and most likely never will. Yeah it will be around, hosing down cars - it'll hose down some! And where's all this hosing down goin on - traffic light drags?? magazine articles??? At the pub ?? Your XR8 and our GT/GTPs "hose down" most of the populaces' cars - there will always be something faster than what you got!

5. Yes you are, which is good, but see answer 4. A 351C (4V) is a wonderful bit of cast iron (got one in the garage attached to the obligatory XYGT) but that's then... and this is now.

Enjoy your XR8 or go and drive around in a (in comparison)stealable/unstopable/unhandlingable/uncomfortable/untechnological/uninsureable/ XR/XT/XY/XA/XB ! (Which will get "hosed down" by any number of snail-powered rice burners that infest our streets, just like my GTP will!)
PS sorry for the invented adjectives.

·
More horsepower required
612 Posts
burnsi said:
1. Let's see...XY GTHO did 14.0 flat according to Wheels magazine of the day, and the XA wasn't faster. BA GT does 13.9..Mmmm
I've only seen 1 GT crack a sub 14 , and it was modded . Ford 1/4 mile times for modern day GT's must have been given with perfect conditions and a downhill dragstrip.
Don't get me wrong , I love the BA GT series , but they just don't cut it in a world where engineering practices are 30 years further forward , and we are .1 sec quicker. Mindblowing stuff for $70000.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I am restoring an original XWGT and all i can say is, the original in ORIGINAL STOCK form as released from ford will not come close to BAGT in acceleration, stopping, turning or any other comparison and it weighs a lot less to a BA execpt that the XW has a history on the track, THATS IT FOLKS.

Elmer Fudd.

·
CEO - The BSR Group
4,400 Posts
Forget the dollar tag, look at the specs. The same can be said for the M5, which absolutely slaughters the GT in all aspects of performance despite a similiar weight and power. So who is telling porkies? BMW or FPV? The FPV product has yet to come near to the Europeans in performance on similiarly spec'd models...

·
Registered
301 Posts
Fordhead said:
I've only seen 1 GT crack a sub 14 , and it was modded . Ford 1/4 mile times for modern day GT's must have been given with perfect conditions and a downhill dragstrip.
Don't get me wrong , I love the BA GT series , but they just don't cut it in a world where engineering practices are 30 years further forward , and we are .1 sec quicker. Mindblowing stuff for $70000.
Well there's only one thing you can do then:

1. Go and trade the BA XR8 on an XA (get one with 8-track if ya can), then;
2. Go to a swap-meet and get a Neil Diamond 8-track;
3. Sit in the car and play "Cryin in my Pretzels" over and over again!

Or, just enjoy what ya got for what it is.

·
Registered
610 Posts
burnsi said:
Well there's only one thing you can do then:

1. Go and trade the BA XR8 on an XA (get one with 8-track if ya can), then;
2. Go to a swap-meet and get a Neil Diamond 8-track;
3. Sit in the car and play "Cryin in my Pretzels" over and over again!

Or, just enjoy what ya got for what it is.
Burnsi, you know exactly where I come from, as for a GT(with stripes) comparison to Your blueprint XR8 ute Fordhead, thats not even close, as for old Gts hosing me down, find me one, my car is very capable of a mid 13 time, I just cant drive it the way it should be. The black Panther is going to put over the quarter at Calder on Friday 27th Feb, he will get it into 13s.

·
Registered
494 Posts
GT 522... Got any pics of your car? I've heard you talking it up a lot lately and i'm very interested to see this head-turner of yours!

1 - 20 of 63 Posts