Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
gilbiegt351
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Not so long ago I was sitting down with a couple of mates enjoying the a few brown bottles when the conversation turned to what cars had the biggest impact on our lives.

It came to my mind that out of all the cars that I had anything to do with the GT FALCON was number one & one day soon I had better get one.
I have had xy wagons & sedans, xa & xb sedans,xa xb & xc coupes one xa fairmont wagon, one Black 1973 LTD (the best ever) and to many others to think of, but never a GT.

Way back when on my first Day of School my cousin & his girlfriend were staying with us & the girlfrend was given the job of delivering me to School.
I recall that day for two reasons, one I had just turned five & was shit scared about the day ahead & also that I was Taken to School Yellow & Black XY GTHO Factory Sun Roof & all the goods inc Hot August Night Pumping in the old Eight track and a verrrrrry Sexy blond with the Bee Hive Hairdoo behind the wheel.

Now I am trying to put togther a data bast one how many GT`s are still out There and Where they are.

I am not putting together a shopping list and I am not any part of an Insurance Company I just want to see how many have survived and where there Lifes journey has led them.

If you or any of your mates have had or still own one please PM or email me with vin/chasis no and a rough location as to where It is as I want to set up a dot map.

Also If you know of or own a JOHN GOSS SPECIAL or COBRA I would also like to Know.

Regard`s James.
gtfalconhunter

[email protected]

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I suggest you log onto www.falcongtclub.org and check out the discussion regarding a national GT register. Use the search tool to find the threads.

This has been discussed may times, and many people have volunteered to donate their time etc. Unfortunately, it still has not come to fruition for many reasons. Perhaps one day it will

Good luck with it

·
gilbiegt351
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It may take some time to put together but I will take a look at the register & see if what i have is there in the meantime how do you feel about me asking you for your numbers.

Regard`s James
gtfalconhunter

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
The register only half exists, as I said, many people want it, but it hasnt quite got rolling as yet.

My numbers already exist in that database.

Also check out some posts by Jim D, and the link to his XY GT database based on factory production numbers. Amazing reference tool.

·
Falcontastic.
6,039 Posts
Nothing againt's you mate but If I had a GT I wouldn't be giving out the Vin number's or the posistion were it is held,why excactly do you need to know where they are located.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
There is no mention of location, and never will be.
Nor are there any names what so ever.
You will never get people to give locations, and nor should they.

All that exists is a register of the VIN Number, whether the car still exists or has been destroyed, what condition, factory and dealer options.

Its also a good tool for logging known destroyed vehicles VINs. Like the set of XB GT ID plates and cut out of the shocker tower apparently for sale at the country swap meet last weekend......

·
gilbiegt351
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
galaxy xr8 said:
Nothing againt's you mate but If I had a GT I wouldn't be giving out the Vin number's or the posistion were it is held,why excactly do you need to know where they are located.
It`s not like Im going to do A sweep & BOOST.
I have a great intrest in what region has the greatest collection of these ledgends and It is only for my own record.

I dont wish to offend any of the members I just want to know where roughly where they are & how many are left.

Regard`s James
gtfalconhunter

·
kickerinthegutsbarry
568 Posts
I've got 2 XBGT's and my old mans got an XBGT and an XYGT. But I must say I'm with Galaxy on this, I dont think I would give my vins to anyone, letalone the location, because despite you saying that you are curious and wish no harm, what if someone else got hold of the info?

·
gilbiegt351
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Im starting to get the message Guy`s but still it was a good leading story dont you think.
You know "HOT AUGUST NIGHT" & all, the worst thing was that it it true & when cous started work at a Bloody HOLDEN Dealer & was given a new hq gts 4 door as company car, sold the GT to Buy a unit and he has been lost to the other side ever sense, What A Bloke Will Do For A Girl.

Regards James.

·
Falcontastic.
6,039 Posts
It's not that we dont trust you gilbiegt351,well sorry but if I had a GT, no I don't trust you, why you may ask, I don't know you and I don't know the other million's of people on the net either,and with the way the world is these day's espeically the world wide net with fraud etc, my moto is" TRUST NO ONE" giving out this sort of information on these type of vehicle's on this type of system is not something I would do,sorry if I offend other's but it's just the way I feel, maybe it has something to do with my g/f who work's for a bank and deal's with this type of stuff day in day out, you'd be amazed what people can do and find out about you on the net.

·
gilbiegt351
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is getting all to heavy man, perhaps someone out there can add a little story about there first trip or contact with a GT FALCON that might lighten it up a little.
Im shure those out there that cannot be trusted would not be able to do any harm & they might even get a little laugh.

Like (" ONE TIME AT GT CAMP ")

Not so long age on the hume traveling back home after a wedding at Jamberoo near Wollongong we slowly caught with a XT GT that was so low in the arse and its nose was so far up in the air it looked like its boot was packed with 1/2 a pallet of cement.
As we started to overtake the old girl I glanced over only to see an old mate steering her up the road, red bandana, painted oldlady in the passengers seat & so mutch gear in the back seat that it looked like they were moving house.
But the thing that stuck in my mind about all this was the shit grin on old mates face it was like he was steering the GT for the very 1st time and he had the whole world in front of him.

Regards James.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
LOL great story
And I have to tell you, its like that EVERY time you drive them. Its like a whole new experience over and over again. Priceless

Galaxy and Apollo - I understand your concerns, but have heard it argued 50 different ways amongst GT members over the years.

The bottom line is, if I want your VIN, I simply walk up and have a look at your rego sticker. Its that simple. But also that harmless. The VIN says absolutely nothing about the car, in terms of options, colours etc. All it does is provide a month and year of manufacture.

On the whole, people are prepared to enter their VIN into the register, but that is it, and all it should be. No name, location blah blah is even considered. Of special interest of course are VINs for known destroyed cars. Unfortunately there is still a lot of deception going on, and even recent court cases that have penalised sellers heavily for faking GTs, it still goes on

·
gilbiegt351
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
XWGT said:
LOL great story
And I have to tell you, its like that EVERY time you drive them. Its like a whole new experience over and over again. Priceless.

The bottom line is, if I want your VIN, I simply walk up and have a look at your rego sticker. Its that simple. But also that harmless. The VIN says absolutely nothing about the car, in terms of options, colours etc. All it does is provide a month and year of manufacture.

As you would all know that a call to FORD customer care can get you a report of all the factory options fitted to the GT`S but not what the Dealer`s tacked on after.

I think its very sad that these living ledgends cannot be posted on a dot map at least at GT FALCON CLUB HQ`s, and that there is not a good record of what is left out there. The MUSTANG club in Australia has a great Book that enables you to track the history of any MUSTANG (providing the door plate is orignal) even down to the Dealer that delivered the car & what options were fitted at that dealer.

I know that we will never be able to get such a book of refference together but we should at least agree to make an effort, History should be recorded and as all of you that own or have owned a GT THEY ARE A BIG PART OF AUSSIE MOTORING HISTORY a big enough part of history to be recorded in the NATIONAL ARCIVES as ledgendary.

Regards James.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
James

Drop an email to

[email protected]

Think you will like what you find. Great bloke, has access to offical Ford build documentation, and dealer delivery information etc. The amount of detail he can find on any GT is amazing. Also, one of the individuals involved in the discussions of the GT register.

The only thing to note about options etc is that XR GT records are no longer available. They were destroyed by Ford, and are gone forever. However from XT onwards, most of the records are complete (although they were only narrowly saved from destruction last year!)

The is actually a lot of information around, too much for some peoples liking, but its all starting to be collated and verified. While I still will never reveal the location of my GT's, I will happily have them documented in history as still existing, in mint condition, 34 years after they rolled off the production line......

·
gilbiegt351
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
XWGT said:
James

Drop an email to

[email protected]

Think you will like what you find. Great bloke, has access to offical Ford build documentation, and dealer delivery information etc. The amount of detail he can find on any GT is amazing. Also, one of the individuals involved in the discussions of the GT register.

The only thing to note about options etc is that XR GT records are no longer available. They were destroyed by Ford, and are gone forever. However from XT onwards, most of the records are complete (although they were only narrowly saved from destruction last year!)

The is actually a lot of information around, too much for some peoples liking, but its all starting to be collated and verified. While I still will never reveal the location of my GT's, I will happily have them documented in history as still existing, in mint condition, 34 years after they rolled off the production line......

Many thanks XYGT I can understand that there those who wish to hold there cards close to there hearts but I feel the more we know and share the more we can preserve and also with a little luck KEEP THEM IN THE COUNTRY.

Regards James.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
And while I wont reveal their location, they are taken out once or twice a month on every club run lol
Not everyone is as paranoid as the bad old 80's. Stealing an orignial GT is basically a non event these days, as they cant be sold without someone knowing, and certainly cant be taken out in public without someone knowing who the car belongs to.
And as most GTs are sold internally with no advertising what so ever, your certainly not going to advertise it in the trading post or unique cars lol

As for keeping them in the country, a few have headed to NZ. Non to the USA that I know of, but I know the enquiries are now coming. A few XC Cobras now reside in the USA, so it wont be too long before we wave goodbye to a few classics.

On the other hand , South African GTs are being brought in, along with South African Monaros and Chev SS's . So I guess all of the traffic is basically in the right direction at the moment, but that certainly wont be the case by the end of the year I'm afraid.

·
kickerinthegutsbarry
568 Posts
XWGT, I thought quite a few gt coupes etc. had gone to the states. Have you had a look at aussiecoupes.com? They have photo's of numurous coupes, many of them looking like GT's. I know odds are that they arn't all GT's, but you would think some of them must be. I recall in street machine a couple of years ago john taverna restored and delivered a genuine XBGT coupe to the states. So at least one of them is a genuine one.

·
Can't wait for Winton...
2,759 Posts
I've seen the same thing, there was an article in AMC. The initial interest is usually through the Mad Max movie, but also once the Yanks find out about the GTs they like those and even some XW or XYs had gone over there.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
As far as I know, no XW or XYs have gone over
Unfortuantely, a lot of the coupes advertised as "GT's" are nothing less than tarted up fairmonts etc.
I know that at least 2 XB GTs and one genuine XC Cobra have gone over, and I'm sure there will be more. I think the market at the moment is basically for cars that can be modded to look like interceptors, but know there is now a small group of people desiring original cars, including GTs, John Goss Specials, Cobras and GS Fairmonts. I think 13 or so went to the American Ford 100th Birthday recently???

1 - 20 of 30 Posts