Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not to sure if anyone has tryed this before. I have a EB XR8 and want to change the handbrake from under the dash to beside my drivers seat like in ef-now fords. Can this be done? If so how and is it hard to do?

·
BA'o'Matic 100% working.
3,838 Posts
I think "getting there" has done this mod and "walkinshaw" was also doing it, drop them a PM :0)

·
Banned
3,104 Posts
I will be doing this soon - doesn't look too hard. Just drill a few holes and mount it up. biggest problem will be the cable, which will be too long. I'll probably use the easy way out and tie a knot in it hehe.....

Alex

·
Fu(kn Slow & Low
479 Posts
im going to do this conversion soon if i find ef fairmont interior (leather) in charcoal. or im just gonna fit it so during the wet season i can take my car down and thrash it around pt wakefield go kart track.... thats gonna be fun, i dont think it will be hard, hte cable will be the biggest challenge but you can get cables shortened or custom ones made easily ask your local mechanic. good luck.

Ehab

·
YES its a 5 Speed!!
2,242 Posts
Always been interested in doing this... hopefully its not too complicated... anyone with info would be greatly appreciated!

·
Yes, fords still kick
668 Posts
The "umbrella" brake would have to be one of the worst features of pre EF Falcons. If any of you guys do comeplete the changeover, please, please, please post a DIY guide on here so we can rid ourselves of that blight on our vehicles!

·
{';'}
4,345 Posts
Haha!! Everyone seems to say something about my handbrake position/type. It's so old-school. What was Ford thinking back then (especially the EB and ED updates)?

·
Looking in YOUR bathroom.
3,287 Posts
i havent done it yet. I think the EF.L had a few extra brackets welded to the floor but nothing that cant be replicated. The main problem will come from the actuation of the cable to the existing system as the under body cable system was diffrent EA-D/EF-L.

·
WHAT THE?
925 Posts
what I wanna know is why the hell they put the handbrake there if they were releasing falcons with manual gearboxes? Handbrake starts are so frustrating! I'm over leaning foward...now I just ride the clutch. Also, Sunny couldn't do his driving test in his mate's ED because of the umbrella handbrake.....apparently it has to be next to the driver.

·
400 kg ego
6,188 Posts
I'd be surprised if the EF handbrake physically fits beside the wide EA-ED console. I agree that umbrellas are best left for people walking in the rain... but if anyone has any pics of the conversion I'd be most curious.

Doug, it was a straight carry over from the X Series Falcons - the reason for its position is so that they didn't have to bother making a seperate hand brake for the bucket seat and bench seat models. They were lazy in other words. :ihi:

·
Banned
3,104 Posts
Meh I just moved it down a bit in the end to go under the EL dash :wnc:
Looking at it, it'll just be a question of a few holes, wherever you want, and then shortening the cable to suit the EA rear cable (unless you put in an EL diff)
Have to agree with Jack though, the console may be an issue; didn't look at the time!

·
Looking in YOUR bathroom.
3,287 Posts
So you have the origional handbreak hooked up to the EL dash?? intresting did you fabricate brackets or what. Id like a shortterm fix.

Damn these people doing dash swaps......grrrrr....bye bye orginality......kidding ;)

·
"Steve has a car?"
2,207 Posts
Walkinshaw said:
Damn these people doing dash swaps......grrrrr....bye bye orginality......kidding ;)
Well I think origionality will go out the window when I attempt it for myself in a few weeks ;)

But yeah I never realized the handbrake would be a big issue as I thought walkinshaw had already installed it without a hassle :/ Hmm I hate being a pioneer in these areas (too expensive), may just wait till someone else figures it out :p

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the info guys. Yeah that's i was worried about the width of the centre console. If i do it i will post pics of it. Cheers

·
WHAT THE?
925 Posts
you could always go the old skool holden style and try and fit it on the RHS of the driver's seat. if you didn't have a height adjustable drivers seat then it should fit.

·
E-Series Cameraman
1,388 Posts
Or you could maybe do what they have in the AU utes, they have it between the drivers door and the door, and even when it is fully engaged the lever falls back down too so it's never in the way.

Alex

·
No longer around
4,882 Posts
The Goodz said:
Or you could maybe do what they have in the AU utes, they have it between the drivers door and the door, and even when it is fully engaged the lever falls back down too so it's never in the way.

Alex

you do mean Drivers door and the Floor dont ya??

hehe post 1999, yay

·
Banned
3,104 Posts
OK looked at the console.
Should be enough room, might have to make up a couple of legs to raise the handbrake assembly off the floor a bit though.

Walky - I just loosened off the bolts that hold the EA handbrake to the firewall and removed the nut on the pedal box. By loosened, I mean right to the end of the thread ;)
Then I moved it down and across slightly so it now sits under the EL dash in about the same spot where it used to sit, but lower. I'll have to make up an extension for the pedal box bolt.
It does not get in the way of your leg while driving, however it may be an issue if you ever try to climb across the inside of the car hehe. You will find it's pretty secure even without making up the extension as it requires a little force to get it under the EL dash while still on the bolts at the back :angel:

Saved me a lot of work, I've spent too much time on that car already without taking the seat/carpet out to drill holes :p

1 - 20 of 20 Posts