Ford Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, my '98 3.8 six-cyl. takes three or so tries to start when
cold....If temps overnight are moderate, it's not an issue.

After about a month of getting frustrated with that, I got an check
engine light, which reported a half-lean condition. Not sure if they
were related or not. Did some casting about, seemed that the Idle air
control valve was a very likely suspect. So, I replaced that yesterday.

This morning I had the same starting problem. Once it starts, it revs
about 1200 rpm. Then I shift it into reverse, rpms drop significantly,
and if I am not quick on the throttle, it will stall.

Any thoughts?
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
[email protected] wrote:

> Well, my '98 3.8 six-cyl. takes three or so tries to start when
> cold....If temps overnight are moderate, it's not an issue.
>
> After about a month of getting frustrated with that, I got an check
> engine light, which reported a half-lean condition. Not sure if they
> were related or not. Did some casting about, seemed that the Idle air
> control valve was a very likely suspect. So, I replaced that yesterday.
>
> This morning I had the same starting problem. Once it starts, it revs
> about 1200 rpm. Then I shift it into reverse, rpms drop significantly,
> and if I am not quick on the throttle, it will stall.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
>


Yeah... dont tell us what you think the code means, tell us the code!

None of the codes in my book say anything about 'half-lean'

--
Yeh, I'm a Krusty old Geezer, putting up with my 'smartass' is the price
you pay..DEAL with it!
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Backyard Mechanic wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
>
> > Well, my '98 3.8 six-cyl. takes three or so tries to start when
> > cold....If temps overnight are moderate, it's not an issue.

>
>
> Yeah... dont tell us what you think the code means, tell us the code!
>
> None of the codes in my book say anything about 'half-lean'


The codes:

p0174-system lean bank #2,

p1260 - theft detected - engine disable
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
[email protected] wrote:

>
> Backyard Mechanic wrote:
>> [email protected] wrote:
>>
>> > Well, my '98 3.8 six-cyl. takes three or so tries to start when
>> > cold....If temps overnight are moderate, it's not an issue.

>>
>>
>> Yeah... dont tell us what you think the code means, tell us the code!
>>
>> None of the codes in my book say anything about 'half-lean'

>
> The codes:
>
> p0174-system lean bank #2,
>
> p1260 - theft detected - engine disable
>

Clean the MAF.
Look for a vacuum leak... warm it, unhook IAC connector, spray water or
unlit propane torch over all gasket mating area in intake/throttle body.

--
Yeh, I'm a Krusty old Geezer, putting up with my 'smartass' is the price
you pay..DEAL with it!
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
>Clean the MAF.
>
>


I'll give it a shot, it has the black plastic MAF, any special
considerations for removal/cleaning (I am planning o

n using electrical contact cleaner).
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Backyard Mechanic wrote:
> >

> Clean the MAF.



Thanks. Cleaning the MAF was the fix. It must be the original, it has a
'97 date on it.....
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top