Ford Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
351 XE on LPG
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to buy a decent puller that doesn't disintegrate after only one use.

Can anybody recommend a heavy duty puller that will last a few years?
Preferably a kit that also comes with an appropriate installer.

Remember that I live in Perth.

Thanks guys.

·
old B - new B
890 Posts
i have always used a home made one , made from a peice of 6mm steel plate with a hole in the centre with a large nut welded over it , some slots cut for the bolts that normally hold the pully,
bolt it on in place of pully, a long threaded bolt in the center nut and scew away.

·
old B - new B
890 Posts
brenx said:
I pinch my mates. It's done plenty of work for myself and him. I dare say it was bought bursons or autobarn.
brenx has the best idea :driver: ..... borrow a mates ..... then if it breaks you can give it back and complain about him buying junk...... then hope he buys a new one before you need it again. :hy:

Z

·
0 Posts
went halves with the old man at one stage and grabbed one from gasweld, was $85, still havent used the bloody thing, i left it out at the farm when i moved, and i went and bought a cheapie in an emergency situation..

i use the standard pulley hold on bolts on it, and i have pulled the balancer off my engine at least 8 times since, and a few others on top of that, i have no idea why it has lasted so long, as i have broken the damn things after one use before.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
I just killed my cheapie today. It pulled 2 balancers off, and failed today on its 3rd. The forcing screw stripped, so i borrowed one too :priest:

·
351 XE on LPG
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What's the advantage of using a proper installer? I didn't know they existed until now and therefore have been doing it all wrong. I normally chuck a little light oil on the snout, align the key and slowly slide it on as I do up the large bolt. Why would you need an installer?

I saw that Auto One has cheap generic harmonic pulling sets for $19.95. If I get a couple of pulls per set then that will have to do. Hardly worth tying up hundreds of $$$$ on a heavy duty unit.

Z

·
0 Posts
Rhett said:
What's the advantage of using a proper installer? I didn't know they existed until now and therefore have been doing it all wrong. I normally chuck a little light oil on the snout, align the key and slowly slide it on as I do up the large bolt. Why would you need an installer?
There is a propper installer? would have came in handy for me a month or 2 back, i pulled half of the thread out of the middle of the crank using the tried and tested method of just smacking it on a bit, then using the bolt to pull it in, i had literally over 3cm of thread engagement then all of a sudden with a swing of the ratchet it went soft... not cool, damn i love helicoils.

Still no idea why it was a problem i have changed heaps and heaps of balancers and when reinstalling i usually give it a few smacks with the hammer and a block of wood, then pull the rest in with the bolt, oh well, will probably never happen again.

·
ESP Man
888 Posts
Red04VXE said:
snap-on is great.
Snap-on is a #$%!ing ripoff. You can buy exactly the same tool somewhere else for 2/3 the price.

OK they have to pay for driving around in a Mercedes van somehow!

·
Registered
475 Posts
Rhett said:
What's the advantage of using a proper installer? .

When hitting the balancer back on, you MIGHT damage the crankshaft thrustbearing. Personally, I do what most other people do and hit them anyway.

I haven't heard of a clevo thrust breaking, but I have seen a similar occurance on another engine, so it is possible, I suppose.....

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
RPO-083 said:
When hitting the balancer back on, you MIGHT damage the crankshaft thrustbearing. .....
I use this method to SET my thrust brg. Gives it the right endfloat :priest:

·
Registered
9 Posts
I make a hydraulic installer/ remover that sells for $300 CDN. Kind of a serious piece for hobby guys, but it also pulls press-in studs (all 16 in 15 minutes).

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
I agree with the other guys......quick trip t scrap metal / steel fabricator for a 15mm off cut and drill the 4 holes with a tapped centre.........just get the high tensile bolts from any bolt supplier. That should last out to the grand kids ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts