Ford Forums banner

Is FPV the performance saviour of Ford?

• Dam Straight. They are on the right track!

Votes: 37 53.6%
  • FPV, A step foward in performance, a step back in customer service

Votes: 20 29.0%
  • FPV...... a long way to go before they can be classed as performance vehicles

Votes: 11 15.9%
  • I'm heading off to the other guys.....

Votes: 2 2.9%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
gone
10,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what you think!

Has the change in Tickford to FPV been a postitive transaction? Have they changed the view of what you may think a FPV experience should be?

·
Registered
3,657 Posts
Probably needs an option a bit like a step sideways in performance (given the T3 is pretty much a match for GT in most respects) and a step back in customer service.

In my view, one of the very good parts of FTE was the focus on the ownership experience and whilst FPV have come some of the way down that road they have still taken a step back from the FTE days.

Cheers
Russ

·
FF Moderator
2,202 Posts
As I currently do not own a FPV, I cannot comment on customer service, however if you consider the fact that they (FPV) are now listening to what many potential customers want in a car, rather than those nice, but ‘soft’ T1 and T2 models, then they are definitely much more on track.

The current FPV models have taken a much more aggressive approach, which has proven to fulfilling more consumer desires over all. The T3 also achieved this, however was held back by the perception of the AU series and styling now associated with the old Tickford brand.

Having said all this, I still feel the FPV cars that have been released to date are still a little on the ‘soft side’ of the fence, which is something I think both the T3 and HSV’s do better. For FPV to get on top and attract new blood to the brand they need to get more aggressive with both their marketing and their product.

More time is also something they need to achieve this, but I feel this time it maybe worth the wait.

Cheers,
Colville

·
When 2 T3s are not enough
1,934 Posts
I dont know I got my T3 just about the time FTe went FPV so I cant say if one is better than the other, All I know is that FTe wasnt backed strongly enough by FORD and so couldnt deliver what it promest, and that was a very close custermer / dealer /Ford /FTe relationship, It seems FTe was just a bad memory and its not to be spoken about and just hope everyone forgets about it, That how I feel about it anyway....

·
Registered
27 Posts
I don't know about you guys but I think the change in name is all it is. The original idea of FTE has been lost in the corporate Ford jungle.
The idea of owning a decently built car and performing car as well getting some extra service and privelidge should not be attempted by amateurs.
As for listening to the people (Their Customers), they may as well not bother. The slogan - "We hear what your saying, but we don't care anyway", could never be any truer for a company.
Tickford / FTE / PFV it doesn't matter what the name is. When they learn to engineer a car with better quality than a Lada, then they may be taken seriously. Oh!, then there's customer service and satisfaction. That may take a bit more time.

·
Tickford and FPV Bloke
953 Posts
I still rather the Tickford idea for the XR's, it made them that little bit more special, the BA XRs are special, but sometimes feel like just another Ford.

·
a vile merchant
714 Posts
The product to me hasn't yet taken a massive step forward but i think the organisation Tickford/FPV is certainly improving. Pre-T3 tickford was basically just a ricer-mod operation. They fitted bodykits and wheels, and built an XR6 engine that claimed a whole host of modifications yet only yielded a 7kW gain (and that's with a sports exhaust). The tickford badge was something to wank over for some people but nowadays most would rather actually have performance. Non-tickford badged XR6-T has done more for ford's rep in 12 months than any badge did in 10 years.

If it wasn't for the Gen3 kicking the shit out of ford we would never have had the T3 (or probably the 220 either) but they did it and and now with the BOSS V8's they're building FPV have proven they do have some real technical know-how. Only problem is with the BA weight increases a GT isn't really any faster than a T3 was and the gen4 engine options for holden are looking very impressive. Lets hope they are able to keep pushing the envelope and the factory can back it up with the build quality people expect.

·
Nacho Nacho Man!
3,514 Posts
Ask the average Joe who FPV is, and they are ten times more likely to know what you are talking about, as opposed to Tickford or FTE. In that regard, FPV has been a great success.

PD, Tickford was building modified Windsors long before T3. They were also involved in suspension setups for XRs, etc well before that too, which is not a ricer-mod operation. My XR6 had the Forte exhaust, so where did my increase come from? Not VCT either, they did get the exhaust... FPV had plenty to do with the XR6T as well, even if the greater unwashed don't realise that.

·
a vile merchant
714 Posts
Venom XR said:
PD, Tickford was building modified Windsors long before T3. They were also involved in suspension setups for XRs, etc well before that too, which is not a ricer-mod operation. My XR6 had the Forte exhaust, so where did my increase come from? Not VCT either, they did get the exhaust... FPV had plenty to do with the XR6T as well, even if the greater unwashed don't realise that.
Those modified windsors were basically crate motors straight from the states. I'm pretty sure they didn't do anything with them locally until the T-series came along, and that's where the rot really started with Synergy 200kW motors that put out more like 185s. You're right about your exhaust, For AU the 'sports' exhaust was saved for the VCT and deleted from the HP version. They must have made a miracle breakthru and discovered how to make 7kW without aid of the exhaust :)

·
Rip Up The Track Join OFR
6,021 Posts
XTS220 said:
I still rather the Tickford idea for the XR's, it made them that little bit more special, the BA XRs are special, but sometimes feel like just another Ford.
hi xts220 thats what they are Ford with some mods..

·
Nacho Nacho Man!
3,514 Posts
PigDog said:
They must have made a miracle breakthru and discovered how to make 7kW without aid of the exhaust :)
More compression, better valve springs, etc.

·
Just give me an excuse...
3,949 Posts
I haven't bought or dealt with either Tickford ot FPV. But from the experiences others have had I think the Tickford way was more customer based, where FPV cares more about moving the cars out. Engineering wise I would assume it would be very similar (exception of the Prodrive experience). I just don't want FPV turning into HSV.

·
17" is for 4cyc
1,871 Posts
Venom XR said:
Ask the average Joe who FPV is, and they are ten times more likely to know what you are talking about, as opposed to Tickford or FTE. In that regard, FPV has been a great success.

I'm sorry I disagree with the above, maybe in Melb average Joe is aware as the factory is their and probably many Ford executives drive FPV's, Herrod's doing mods etc.....Presence, being scene.........

I can gaurantee my mates (average Joe's) and many other ppl I could ask don't have a clue who FPV is, as for FTE phhhht, they can identify the Tickford wings as a performance Ford though.
At consumer level it's the same as it was before, the Ford performance Ghost.
We(meaning enthusiast's and racing followers) know that there is a factory race team now to go with their road vehicles, has there been 1 ad ? I haven't seen one,I don't watch much commercial tv so correct me if I'm wrong.

Improvement ? yes the Boss engine, the Had6T plus many many more features to the car. WE know that, Joe average ?
Improvement ? for Joe average walking in the FPV dealership door ? Heck you tell me, first off do they know where a FPV dlrship is ?
Improvement ? Customer service/sales,(we are talking here for Joe Average) come on waste of my time

Just my 2cents worth

·
Registered
499 Posts
In my personal opinion, the name change and the aligning of the FPV organisation into a more HSV type corporate structure, that is as an individual and distinct company from Ford has been a postive move.

Before FPV there was definate problems with product identity. What was Tickford? What was the product that they were marketing? The hero car of the Tickford range (ie XR8 pre T series) wasn't even close to being in the same class as any Holden 8. They were years behind HSV and the move to differentiate FPV/GT from the Falcon badge has been an incredibly good move.

Finally the brand-loyalists have been rewarded with something to crow about.

Now lets just hope they can keep the ball rolling into the future and move ahead of HSV rather than merely catch up.

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
I've got my opinions but it has to be something to do with growing pains. The same fantastic people are sitting in the same buildings doing much the same job. But there's more to do every day.

My biggest bone to pick is the ability to handle customer issues. FPV suck. My experiences have been extremely negative due to the snail's pace getting parts, fixes, and conducting communication.

My hint to FPV:
Give customer care people ownership and power so things can be done pronto!

I think the biggest question is whether some of you/me/us would shop FPV again. I can safely say from my experience it's back to Ford XR8 and Herrod - the experience is just better, more personal, more proactive, and ultimately leads to a better ownership experience.

Sorry FPV, hopefully you take this criticism constructively and look more closely at what you are doing.

·
gone
10,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Venom XR said:

Well I just ran around the office of 40 odd people,

23 didnt know either (mainly girlies)

most of em didnt know FPV, but could relate to Tickford Brand Name

Just goes to show that the decision makers, ie the girlies, are not in the target market.....

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
We must move on with the times and although there might be some hiccups along the way the new direction and branding (FPV) is only a big positive for Ford in general,FPV is definately here to stay and compete with HSV and as far as i'm concerned the people that i speak to certainly know what FPV is all about,Tickford is in the past.
Cheers John

·
Registered
282 Posts
Agree with John, I have not had much to do with FPV yet but closer to projected build date of my car I will be on the phone often, however the couple of times I have delt with them have been good.
Jury is out at the moment!

·
Own the road
997 Posts
laminge said:
Well I just ran around the office of 40 odd people,

23 didnt know either (mainly girlies)

most of em didnt know FPV, but could relate to Tickford Brand Name

Just goes to show that the decision makers, ie the girlies, are not in the target market.....

I wish my office was full of girlies.
4 on my floor. Out of 140 odd people in the office there is about 10 girlies,
.... Bloody IT, not enough eye candy in the trade...

·
Thirst For Gasoline
15 Posts
I think the change is an improvment the name also is alot more sporty and i think it sounds BETTER than tickford and it is better than holdens HS(bloody)V
. the word PERFOMANCE does it for me sounds realy mean and the cars look and perform great

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
About this Discussion
24 Replies
19 Participants
Supa R00
Ford Forums
Ford Forum is a community to discuss all things Ford. Check out our discussions on the Ford Escape, Mustang, Edge, F-150, Raptor, Explorer, Focus, Fusion, Fiesta and more!
Full Forum Listing