Ford Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
WA Eseries Rep
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well about 4 months ago I had a heater hose split on me and had to get towed home. When replacing the hose the thermostat was replaced but the water in the radiator was not properly done (ie almost just water, not much time to change at the time).

This was fine until a month or so ago I noticed the temp gauge sitting higher then normal, then latly it got worse as durring long trips with air con going and hot warmer weather, the temp nedle was sitting on the 'R' for normal. So I knew I should make an effort and replace the radiator water with proper stuff. I aslo noticed it was going through the water so I filled up the resivour tank a few times.

So 2 weeks ago I dropped the water and replaced it with distilled water and coolent, but it made no difference, so I was thinking the thermostat had gone again. Today befor driving home I decided to check the water level in the tank and there was none in there again! but then I noticed down the left side of the engine block coolent had leaked down.

The leak seems to have started just from underneath the heat sheild over the exhaust. So I am wondering if its the head gasket causing the leak. When I did change the coolent I did an oil change and no visible sign of water in the oil in the pan. However the block does have a thin oil coating from a leak from the head gasket (still no noticable oil use).

sorry for the long post, but if it is the head gasket can any body recomend a brand or avg price they go for?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Apparently the AU head gasket will fit (Also get AU bolts as well) they are metal and last heaps longer, I dont think they need to be modified to fit either. Not sure which brand to go for, probably best off getting the genuine ford part, might cost a bit more though.

The bolts you have in you head are probably TTY(tension to yeild) bolts and cannot be used again, as when installed they are streched. So get the AU bolts as these are not TTY and are stronger.

·
Banned
3,104 Posts
A Monotorque head gasket plus bolts costs me $80.

·
WA Eseries Rep
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After close inspection with the heat sheild off and then a run to warm the engine up, it was the head gasket leaking.

Went down to Coventries to get the head gasket kit and they wanted $178 im glad I didn't have that much in the bank as I went next door to Auto Pro and they had the same kit for $110 dunno what brand they are.

·
Registered
311 Posts
After 107k km's the head gasket on mine started leaking coolant from No4 on the exhaust side.Started today leaking badly , getting done on fri.

·
Banned
3,104 Posts
Yeah go to Veale's for parts Scott, if ya want I'll fix it, or you can borrow the shed if you want....

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
Its actually the head bolts have lost there elastisity. Sometimes if you get it soon enough,either retorque them or or fit new ones[$40] before any damage is done to gasget...

·
WA Eseries Rep
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ebxr8240 said:
Its actually the head bolts have lost there elastisity. Sometimes if you get it soon enough,either retorque them or or fit new ones[$40] before any damage is done to gasget...
So u recomend buying them when I do the gasket tomorrow?
will aslo go down and get a new thermostat and rubber ring for it befor doing the job tomorrow.

Cheers for the offer Mongrel but my Dad has the time tomorrow to do it with me, or me help him do it :)

·
Banned
3,104 Posts
Man, ALWAYS replace the head bolts. Otherwise the gasket will just blow again. The bolts are designed to stretch, and stretch once. After that they can and will stretch unpredictably and worst-case scenario is you warp the head.
Like I said, Veales will do you the gasket and bolts for $80, a good Monotorque gasket it is.

Alex

·
Registered
476 Posts
its not uncommon to see bolts broken either, causing the leak

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
Get the bolts with the thread along way up bolt...
Yes they can break but thats the chance you take..
The alloy heads expand alot more than iron.In time it weakens bolts alloy Jap is the same....

·
WA Eseries Rep
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well the head is off, did it today after buying the AU bolts and new thermostat.

Non of the bolts were broken but I will not reuse them.

Spent a few hours cleaning the deck of the block and head from the crap left behind from the old head gasket, only have a knife to do it with, Old man said I could go get a wire brush extension to fit on the end of the drill but thats more $$ so I persisted. So thats were a few hours of my day went.

·
Registered
476 Posts
on a couple of ones ive done ive seen bolt heads broken off completely, and others you can spot a small crack under the head of the bolt which has allowed the tension to slacken off...

but 99/100 times its just a rooted gasket

·
WA Eseries Rep
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well this morning on closer inspection using the knife to clean the head and block wasn't going to be good enough. So I went and bought the wire brush wheel for the drill for $6 :nk:

So thats all clean, also gave the outside of the block a clean with air compressor and petrol to get rid of the gunk, then packed everything away befor work as it was supposed to rain.

·
Banned
3,104 Posts
Oh yeah which reminds me, if you read this before getting the head back on - CHECK THE DECK! Use a straight edge to verify the deck and head are flat, otherwise you may find out too late that the head went due to not being flat.
Your motor should be OK, but wobbly decks are a very common problem on the 3.9s so it's worth checking out. They come like that from factory...bloody Ford....

·
WA Eseries Rep
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
mongrelEB said:
Oh yeah which reminds me, if you read this before getting the head back on - CHECK THE DECK! Use a straight edge to verify the deck and head are flat, otherwise you may find out too late that the head went due to not being flat.
Your motor should be OK, but wobbly decks are a very common problem on the 3.9s so it's worth checking out. They come like that from factory...bloody Ford....
Deck is all good, thank christ :whiskey:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts