Ford Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Chasing down oil leaks...
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at the crap that has built up around the water holes and the size of em on the old head gasket I have to wonder that these small holes covering large ports would be a real restriction to any activity that tried to flush the engine.

Dirt, rust would just build up behind these holes. Wouldn't it be better to just allow the full water flow through which would allow for better cleaning, etc..

And I know the holes are smaller to suit revised cooling plans and increase coolant flow around the engine where it is needed more...

Dan..

·
Banned
3,104 Posts
No!
The smaller holes prevent overcooling. It was a problem on the early EAs so they changed the h/g to suit.

If the holes are enlarged, the head will not heat enough, will not expand, and will not seal properly resulting in poor gasket life.
Of course in a hi-performance engine that may no longer be true :) but for a stocker it's bad news. Been there done that :p

Alex

·
Chasing down oil leaks...
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did they change later heads to suit? Or just the gaskets?

What I was pointing at is the deposting of rust and casting sand, etc where the reduction in size occurs...

Dan...

·
Banned
3,104 Posts
Yeh I know, just the gaskets is all they changed. Go figure.
Anyway a good backflush should clean that out, remember it's under pressure so the turbulence behind the restriction should clean it good IMHO :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts