- Electric fuel pump
- Stock water pump
- Weiand single plane intake
- Holley 750 cfm double pumper race carb
- Mallory unilite Comp 9000 distributer with vacuum advance
- Mallory Hyfire box (6A)
- Hooker Super Comp equal length tube ceramic coated headers

And I have noticed the following:

- Oil pressure at 3000 rpm is a little over 60 psi (OK for me)
- Water temp is within the normal (although it's closer to the H than the C)

The question I have is that I have noticed that this thing produces and incredible amount of heat under the hood. I drove it for about 5 minutes today and had it idle for about 10 beforehand (temp here was about 96 degress). When I popped the hood and went to take off the air cleaner, it was very hot. When I touched the valve cover, it actually burned the tip of my finger. The air cleaner hold down "nut" was hot as well. It has been a long time since I have messed with anything under the hood, but it just seems like this is a bit hot. Any ideas 1) if this is normal, or 2) what could be causing everything to be so hot?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Clevelands do generate a lot of under bonnet heat. The few I've owned always had the ability to burn someone after being turned off. Especially in 96 degree heat.

Yours may be a little too hot though. First thing is to check the thermostat and make sure you have one that is correct temperature for your climate. Radiator also needs to be in very good condition.
I have found from my little bit of personal experience with them that they don't suffer poor cooling systems very well.

Is the engine and old one or newly rebuilt?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
northey said:
Is the engine and old one or newly rebuilt?
It's rebuilt with less than 5000 miles on it. I have a 180 degree thermostat in it and it runs like a bat-out-of-hell, was just curious about the heat. Since I haven't driven it much over the last 15 years, it just seemed that it was a bit hot and I didn't know why. Perhaps the heat is what ya get when you have all that horsepower under the hood.

·
Registered
330 Posts
72_351C said:
It's rebuilt with less than 5000 miles on it. I have a 180 degree thermostat in it and it runs like a bat-out-of-hell, was just curious about the heat. Since I haven't driven it much over the last 15 years, it just seemed that it was a bit hot and I didn't know why. Perhaps the heat is what ya get when you have all that horsepower under the hood.
True. They're a big hunk of metal; just a large heat sink really.
If you haven't touched the radiator though it would be worth looking at and testing for flow.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts