Ford Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
XB Pilot
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
HELP! Cant Seperate steering components

I need help guys,

I just swapping eninges in my XB and part of the plan was to install power steering.
Only problem is how do I seperate the steering arm of the Power Steering box from the Arm it connects to (Think its called the pitman arm)????

I thought it would have been easy but I must require some type of puller, maybe a ball bearing puller?

Thanks Guys

Simon

·
Registered
407 Posts
Need a Pitman Arm puller, reasonable ones should be about $60. Cheapie ones should be around $20-30. When removing the arm, don't try to do it all with the puller. Take off nut and spring washer, then put nut only back on, leaving a gap between the nut and the arm. Tighten the puller fairly tight, then give the pitman arm a sharp tap with a hammer (don't beat the crap out of it). It should pop off against the nut. The nut is to ensure the arm doesn't rearrange your dental work when it pops off.

·
XB Pilot
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Please tell me that the pitman arms arn't different. I really don't need to hear that now after I succeedded in getting it off with a hammer and brick.
I really really don't want to have to do it again.

The wheels looks straight to me and everything fitted perfectly once I got it off.

Simon

1 - 4 of 4 Posts