Ford Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I hope someone can give me some advice.... I know this is the best place to ask.

I recently blew a radiator hose, the lower one connecting to the water pump. No big deal, replaced it the other day..... However it seem the car temp is bit higher than it should be - while in traffic it gets to half way, the second fan also kicks in - this is still normal but it never used to get that high.

I'm a bit concerned. Is it possible my thermostat is faulty ? My car has done 140,000 km.....

-- just to note, I still haven't topped up with coolant - only plain water in my radiator at the moment.

Hope you guys can help.

Cheers.

·
BA'o'Matic 100% working.
3,838 Posts
Water has a lower boiling point then coolant, and can damage the alloy in the motor unless you change it soon.

The thermostat may be gone hence you blew a hose in the first place, maybe look at replacing that and throw coolant in at the same time.

Jason

·
Registered
847 Posts
if you blew a hose you've got bigger problems get your entire cooling system flushed it is cheaper than a head job.

·
BA'o'Matic 100% working.
3,838 Posts
6pAc|30nG|00n said:
if you blew a hose you've got bigger problems get your entire cooling system flushed it is cheaper than a head job.

Depends on where you go and who you know :wnc:

·
Registered
847 Posts
Why who do you know that would charge more for a head gasket change, etc less than a full cooling system flush with new coolent???

Edit: Unless they are original hoses in which I believe you are asking for trouble anyway if the cooling system had not been touched for over 100,000 km's.

·
BA'o'Matic 100% working.
3,838 Posts
Oh you are talking about the car, sorry my mind went in a completly different direction ..... LOL

·
Registered
847 Posts
What other direction could it go considering we are on FF.com.

EDIT: LOL YOU DIRTY DIRTY BOY!!!!!!

·
BA'o'Matic 100% working.
3,838 Posts
6pAc|30nG|00n said:
What other direction could it go considering we are on FF.com.

EDIT: LOL YOU DIRTY DIRTY BOY!!!!!!

Well your the one WHO said it :fraz:

Anyways enough thread high jacking for today :zzz:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the response.... I think.

Anyways how hard is it to replace the thermo on an EL !?!??!

Where it is ?

Help.

·
EFII Ghia owner
355 Posts
two bolts on top of the thermos, unclip the wiring harness and wala, shes out. Its that easy

·
Registered
18 Posts
Plain water doesnt help the situation as has been mentioned. Its also possible u have an air lock in the cooling system somewhere. Bleed the cooling system, its a nice easy job, before you go pointing the finger. Are your thermos actually running ? If they are its unlikely to be the fault. The thermostat was also mentioned, another good thing to be checking before your up for some big Johnny with head troubles.

Cheers
Tj

·
Experimental Racer#6
8,192 Posts
EF_Dave said:
two bolts on top of the thermos, unclip the wiring harness and wala, shes out. Its that easy
I think he means the Thermostat, not the thermo fans.

Two bolts next to the head.
Id give the system a reverse flush, make sure you have the heater on full.
Them refill with good coolant and water.
See how she goes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts