Ford Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Village Idiot
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i got the arse of my car in the air, but i cant seem to undo the nut on top of the shock.
The middle bit with the thread keeps moving with the nut, and i cant grip it with anything to stop it.
Is there a way around this? Undo anything else first?

WD40 has been used on certain parts to no avail.

Ill keep poking aound and see what i can do.

im having little sucess in undoing anything :doh:

Jase
(EBII Fairmont)

·
XR Wannabee
461 Posts
Not sure if I quite get what you mean, but do you mean the two nuts at the top?

You need to get a spanner to hold the lower nut while you turn the top one with another spanner. Once they are separated they should come off without too much fuss.

·
BA'o'Matic 100% working.
3,838 Posts
The centre shaft should not be round but flattened on two sides, so a small spanner can be used to hold it, and then work on the nut

·
RIP Sox.....
2,580 Posts
As 'Dellboy999' said, or else the top of the shaft has been broken off, which is common.
If it is broken, you will need to have someone under the car holding the shaft with some vice grips. This will damage the shaft and cause the shocks to leak, however I gather you're raplacing them, so it won't matter.

Rick.

·
Registered
195 Posts
go with rick only if you are changing the shock but an air driven rattle gun [the same as used to take the wheels off at a tyre store will undo it no probs]ps with a 11/16 deep socket attached hope it helps greg venomXR6

·
Village Idiot
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Shuld be able to fix it tomorrow, going down to a guy i knows workshop :)

Just well stuck. And couldnt grip it with the tools i could find :doh:
I dunno where all the tools keep going :(

Thanks

Jase

1 - 6 of 6 Posts