Ford Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
should have two small access holes on either side of the Radio face, which a key goes in each side to pull it out (each key is V shaped, one end of the key in top hole and other in bottom). You can make your own keys as I know someone who did this and they worked.
The wire needs to be coathanger thickness. cut two pieces about 7 inches long, bend both of them into a V shape. Notch all four ends about 3mm from the ends, then round the ends off like a small ball shape.

·
BSR
2,279 Posts
Once you have done what Sam said.....

The biggest prob can be the foam around the wiring loom getting caught. a few good pulls on the stereo should release it.....

·
Banned
2,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
phew... thanks fellas!

ok, one last question - can i use the black plug from the old stereo and just plug into the sony unit, or do i have to cut all the wires and connect the new plug?

·
Registered
542 Posts
Hi yah,

In answer to your question - before you go and cut all of your wires, it may be possible to buy a "piggyback" wireing loom that adapts the Ford plug to whatever stereo you are installing. It would certainly make the installation easier.

Paul B

·
Banned
2,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
IT IS OUT!!!
after nearly cutting my thumbs open, i've got it out! damn that plastic's sharp.

xr6wgn

so what you're saying is that if the plug will fit, i don't have to cut the wires - it's not going to blow up on me or anything?

·
Registered
542 Posts
Don't know on that one - Alpine used to make the sound systems for Ford - don't know about the Au's but if I wanted to fit say a Pioneer system to my EF then the Ford plug won't fit. I have seen a conversion loom that plugs into the existing Ford plug which then allows a trouble-free installation.

If one of these is not available for your stereo I guess you don't have any option but to cut the wires.

Have fun
Paul B

·
BSR
2,279 Posts
The plug wont fit and sony do not have an adapter plug for the Ford Au wiring loom.

Mate, my advice would be splice into the loom and not cut the plug off. If you dont what you are doing i would leave to the installers.....airbag etc can be activated or even computer killed!!!!!

·
2004 BA XT Falcon Ute
84 Posts
Have a look at Supercheap (do you have them in your state?) first and see if they have a wiring loop adapter so that you don't have to cut up your harness in case you want to restore it one day.

·
Banned
2,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yup, i've had a look, and it's just not worth the bother and i actually don't know how to rewire the damn thing!

can anyone recommend a good installer? if not, i'll just got back to the bloke who sold me the system... it'll cost a shitload most probably...

G

·
Have a look at this page, i'm not sure if the AU is the same as the EL but thats all they list upto. They may have it but not have updated their web page yet. I used one of their looms when i fitted my deck...

http://www.tdj.com.au/aerpro/index.htm

·
Banned
2,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for the advice fellas, but i'm getting it installed by a pro... i just don't have the knowledge, nerves or the time to do it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts