Ford Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Just wondering if any body could recomend somwhere or someone that could provide me with a replacement alternator and install it for my 1995 Probe with a KL-03 2.5 V6.

My car has done approx 173,000kms and have noticed the volt meter behaving strangley over the last couple of days. I have measured the output (when cold) and it is about 14.5 volts, and when it is hot it hovers between 18 to 19.5 (not too good). The battery is also under 2 years old so hopefully I wont have to replace that as well (cost $170 last time!!!!!).

Oh yeah, I am located in the south eastern suburbs of Melbourne if that helps.

Thanks

Andrew.

·
Banned
5,809 Posts
I think you may only need to replace the voltage regulator on the back of the alternator, but i am not sure what is used on the probes so don't quote me on that ;)

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had a look at the Haynes manual and it says to replace the alternator and voltage regulator as a single unit?????

Never had a close look at one of these things, where would I get a separate regulator from????

Thanks

Andrew

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Bad news I'm afraid. The alternator should be a Hitachi with internal reg. From hazy memory it is buried under the rear bank. These things aren't cheap to replace although I've been told for some reason Ford and Mazda charge different prices. Best bet is talk to an auto elec.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's the deal,

Went to my local Fraud Dealer and they wanted $2200 for a replacement alternator, but because the girl behind the counter she would sell it to me for $1500.

Went a little further down the road to the local Mazda dealer and request a price on an alternator and after the guy had stopped laughing he looked it up on his computer and came back with a price of $1600.

I then went home and called a mobile auto electrician and he came and had a look at it and didnt know the car could not work out who made the alternator and would call me on monday. Monday came and he advised that they still didnt know what it was and advised me to take it to another auto electrician to see if they could work it out (not very happy at this stage)

Drove the car down to Cherry Automotive (Andrew) ph:9781 3666 and he (within the first five minutes) was able to work out who made it (Mitisubisihi) and give me a rough quote on how much it is going to cost to repair. The inital quote that he gave me was between $380- 450 and the exact quote worked out to be $390 with a 12 month 50,000km warranty.

Very happy with the service that he provide and the car runs better that ever.

Andrew

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,540 Posts
Good stuff mate, it gos to show it's worth checkina round $1500 is a rip off despite you bargained with the girl from $2200.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
$2200?:fmad: How the hell can they charge that much for a bloody alternator? Still cheaper then $4500 for a mercedes alternator. BTW was it where I thought it was? Just wondering as it has been a few years since I last looked at one of those engines.

·
Chromed Member
1,810 Posts
$170 for a battery ?$?$?$?$?

jeezus christ.

i know its a special one and all that, but if you ever need one (or anybody else) let me know cos Im also the Apollo, Global Yuasa and Mercury battery agent for Albury and surrounding areas, but I can put you onto a rep closest to you and get a sweeeet deal!!

:crazy2:

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
FTEfan - the alternator is located on the left hand side of the engine bay in front of the front bank of the V6, with the AC compressor below it and the radiator and radiator fans blocking an easy removal.

Botch - Thanks for the offer mate. will remember that.

Thanks again guys.

Andrew

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Oops. Must have been thinking about another model. Great packaging in those things I gotta say.

·
1 bad 302
963 Posts
Question if i may????

To get the price down from $2200 to $1500,did you also change the "Durex stats" re: Aus vs Nz ? Are the odds back in our favour?

Just asking (LOL)

·
The cat in the hat
400 Posts
Reply from ford dealer in south east.......

Genuine battery $110.00
new alternator assy $1865.00......
alternator reg $373.00..

cherry auto elec is a good reliable shop. good choice..
dont know where the other dealer got their alternator price from but maybe they were hooking in just a tad:p

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The fault was found to be the regulator in the alternator. Got Cherry to reco my existing alternator and everything is now working fine.

The only gripe that I have got about Cherry is they forgot to put in the two bolts that hold the top of the alternator to the head.... making the pivot bolt and the belt the only thing holding it on found this out at about 2:30am sunday morning.

Both of the prices that I got were from dealers in Frankston.

Jerry, sorry about not replying to you email, was a little stressed about not having a car.....

Andrew

1 - 15 of 15 Posts