Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Discussion Starter #1
My computer wont boot i press the power button, nothing, its so random i need it just so i can get the crap off it until i get my new computer cause i can use this for internet but i want to get the stuff off, but yea it just doesnt boot the motherboard either so i think the power supply has gone metal but i checked everything was connected

should i just wait till i get my new computer and put the hard drive in it?

thanks

·
Rollcage Crash Test Dummy
552 Posts
Try the Following

a Shut Down and leave for 30 seconds (totally unplug it)

b Switch the power supply off at the back of the machine- should be a little on/off switch

c If its an "Acer" it could be a "Random Restarter" best to contact them if ur covered under warranty

d try a new power cable (just try it, you never know these days)

e throw out window

if none of the above work, id say, its either your power supply or a problem with your mother board- or somethin stoopid like a broken button! :p) Try getting it covered under warranty,
If you need stuff off ur HDD, pull it out and take it to a mates, and get the important stuff burnt off or get him to hold it on his system

HSV_KILLA- Trainee Network Administrator for Maitland City Council, NSW

·
I am The Brain
3,073 Posts
Interesting situation....are you sure you are pressing the right button? :rofl:

Definately try a different power cable...so many times that is a major cause of issues.

·
BA'o'Matic 100% working.
3,838 Posts
Just wait and add the HD as a second HD to the new computer then copy everything off, easy :D

Jason

·
552 Posts
If its not that old, call IBM customer support...they will probably give you a new system and ask you not to tell any one of your problem ;-)...def. a hardware problem, you could try opening the box and replacing the power supply (cost is about $40-$50) that is, if you no longer have a warranty, call some of ur computer mates and ask if they have a relatively new power supp. that you could use (make sure it has enough wattage to run ur system)

·
i pity tha fool
1,040 Posts
no lights at all i assume?

then pull out the hard drive and stick it in the new pc... just like dellboy said. damnit thats the second time he beat me to it.

·
i pity tha fool
1,040 Posts
actually after reading your first post agaib you pretty much diagnosed the problem, aswell as came up with the workaround by yourself..

ha!

·
Just give me an excuse...
3,949 Posts
so there is no power?? do any lights light up? does the power supply fan come on?? if not then its dead...if ur upgrading then wait till then and just add the current drive as a slave disk and copy the data over then format the drive...or if u need the data now then go to someone with another pc and do the above on their pc and burn the data on to a couple of cds

·
BA'o'Matic 100% working.
3,838 Posts
Ambrose_1 said:
its got an OS on it will it not conflict?
No conflict as the drive will be a slave, not the primary boot disk, the primary boot disk is bascially the master drive on IDE channel 1.

Jason

·
3FB's Peter Pan!!!
777 Posts
We had this problem (or so it sounds) at work. Apparently (and ive had to do this a couple of times) all you need to do is remove the power plug from the power supply (on the back of the computer) and wait for about 5 seconds before you plug it back in and go again. Should sort the problem. Hope this helps.

·
552 Posts
XR6HP01 said:
We had this problem (or so it sounds) at work. Apparently (and ive had to do this a couple of times) all you need to do is remove the power plug from the power supply (on the back of the computer) and wait for about 5 seconds before you plug it back in and go again. Should sort the problem. Hope this helps.
As mentioned above- good thought, but read before you post

·
{';'}
4,345 Posts
Sounds like the power supply has had it. Simple fix and not too expensive if you can't wait. Could also be the fuse inside the PSU - a friend and I replaced one in my old computer and it worked fine! A five cent fix.

·
Discussion Starter #16
na, im not spending any more money on that computer i have my new case and GPU ready to go but it wont be running for another week

But i've just been out kayaking and just got back so that time from my last post and now is how long i left it, I beat its something not connected or maybe it thought "screw you buying a new computer " and dies, lol

·
i pity tha fool
1,040 Posts
neither ambrose_1.

just the entire contents of the drive into a directory say, 'old_pc' then take the old drive out(that way you wont have to worry about getting into the case again)

after that copy the files you want over that you know you want, bearing in mind that mouse-dragging them within the same drive constitutes a move, not a copy. as far as the programs go, you'd best reinstall them on the new pc, unless you know that you dont have to.

the files and progs you can copy over just fine.. however if they're windows apps that need registry settings then a re-install of that application will be in order..

as far as conflicts because of OS's goes, the way most operating systems work is they write a little bit of data on the first hard drive when they install(the first HD would be C drive. which will be the one with XP on it) saying what OS to load, or what OS's exist and where, and/or other info for a multi OS boot menu..

installing a second hard drive, you wont be able to boot from it unless you add a line into the 'boot.ini' file to look to the second HDD aswell, and thus give you a choice. the thing is, the second hard drive will be D drive, and every reference to a file using C:\ will be wrong. so it wont work anyway.

·
i pity tha fool
1,040 Posts
hope that makes sense. sorry if i sound condescending. i dont know how much you know and cant be sure.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts