Ford Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Rip Up The Track Join OFR
6,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought a heap of Meguiare car care stuff today. I have one problem I don’t know if I should use the paint cleaner, before I use the wet look polymer sealant and the wax, my Ute is 6 months old has paint protection on it which supposed to be crap...would the paint cleaner be to harsh ?? says it will remove other polishes and waxes dirt and grime. I have never put any polish on it yet.....

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
if you do use it, make sure you re wax it and polish it , so that its protected....
factory paint protection, you supposed to only wash it with water, no soap, according to them...
let us know how the paint cleaner goes.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
I use the paint cleaner on mine every time before I wax. Its a great product you get that squeaky clean finish, then its all ready for a fresh layer of gold class wax. Works a treat, did this on my wifes echo two weeks ago and I never realised the rainbow coloured metalic in the black paint, it looks awesome! BTW the echo is for sale if anyone is interested?

·
Falcontastic.
6,039 Posts
I agree, before I polish I use the paint cleaner and then polish and finally the wax(a must) to seal it.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Definitely remove the dealer sealant if you are going to lay down the Megs. It usually just s**t anyway.
Apply the paint cleaner to remove the crap and prepare the paintwork for the rest of the products. Then polish ( if required, starting with the least abrasive and if that doesnt work then use a more abrasive followed by a less abrasive - hope that makes sense.. ), then apply the polymer sealant and then if you want the wax. Always polymer before wax or the polymer wont bond to the paintwork.
The polymer sealant will provide the protection, the wax will darken your paint and give it a "wet look". Most people find the polymer sealnat reflective and shiny, but not wet and deep.

Good luck with it!

·
2,922 Posts
philstoj said:
factory paint protection, you supposed to only wash it with water, no soap, according to them...
Not sure which paint protection this is.. the Focus and BA we bought with the optional paint protection comes with Auto Glym car shampoo that they tell us to use, and supply us with more (albeit at a cost per bottle of course).

The AutoGlym is not my favorite stuff ever, despite popular opinion of the stuff, road grime and bugs just do not come off, its terribly frustrating. I am going thru Meguiars range now trying to find something better while keeping the factory shine - and have no doubts I'll find some good stuff.

Cheers... Tim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts