Ford Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past few months i have been getting these damm hoax Microsoft spam of virus emails which say "Micorsoft, use this patch immediately" and a new just this morning " Ms inet Message st bug letter", my virus protection is pickign up these viruses but i am receiving these emails on a daily, especially the first one.

Is there a function somewhere in Outlook where i can block the email so i don't receive it???? :fraz: :fraz: :fraz:

Matt.

p.s. i remember talking to a I.T. fella at a party once and he said that because i use forums frequently, that this is the reason i receive these types of emails. Apparently the assholes that make these bugs use imformation such as emails addresses and the like which is sitting there when we register.

Is this correct?

·
BA'o'Matic 100% working.
3,838 Posts
NOPE - I dont get any of that crap in my hotmail that I have signed up with on FF.

Your ISP is the one to blame, they should be blocking crap before it gets to you, or you put your address on a site somewhere else and they SOLD it to a 3rd party and now you get heaps of crap.

Jason

·
BA'o'Matic 100% working.
3,838 Posts
I noticed that you have a block sender option, but it only appears to block the sender, not all of the possible address from that server, example it blocks [email protected] only not all address from @server.com.

Look up the help, and use keyword block or block sender.

Jason

·
Lamahs approve of manuals
1,382 Posts
Generally, you just want to avoid posting your email address *anywhere*, or even submitting to any sites. If any sites require an email address for verification or something, use a hotmail account (I have a specific hotmail account for this purpose).
Imo, you should protect your email address like your credit card details. . . .

Try doing a search on the net for spam-blockers or similar. Should turn up some packages to help.

·
Rail Rider
1,248 Posts
I was upto 20 of those MS update emails and hour. Every one of them came with a different email adress so it was impossible to block them all.

Ended up changing my email adress.

·
i pity tha fool
1,040 Posts
noddy. hard fact of life if one wants email. and its not always from entering your email addy on forms on webpages either. some hackers interrogate email servers to find out what mailboxes exist, then sell the list on to the advertising companies. thats how you get spam. as far as the microsoft email goes, your email address was probably stolen from an email that happened to have your address on it by a virus along the lines of loveletter etc(since email progs love remembering that stuff nowadays). and its probably from someone you dont know, but maybe a friend/fam member knows.

solution: just turn the comp off and go for a drive in ya TE, ya lucky bastard.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I use a program called Mailwasher to vet all incoming mail. With this simple program I can bounce and/or delete all unwanted mail before it gets on the server. I do not believe that I should be a victim and have to keep changing my address all the time just because of a few arseholes in this world.

http://www.mailwasher.net/

Cheers - Eric

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Well the above post is a great solution.
An easy solution from Outlook Express itself is to highlight the message (make sure you dont have display pane enabled or it will auto execute any attachments)
On the tool bar go Message-Create Rule from Message.
It will open up a box, at the top select "Where subject line contains"
Next just underneath where it ask what you want to do with it, select delete
Then in the lower part, type in the subject of the email that keeps appearing.
This will only work for emails that contain that exact subject line, but will make sure they dont get to you.

·
Lord of the RC
2,515 Posts
That MS thing was a virus, not much you can do about that one as it comes from other peoples computers, they are the one with the virus, so unless you send them out, just block them or delete them n stuff

·
Now driving an XF Falcon.
1,042 Posts
If you're using Windows NT, 2000 or XP & you've still got the "Windows Messenger Service" (completely seperate to the Windows Messenger instant messaging system) enabled, it would be a good idea to disable it. If you're not sure how to, it might pay to have a look at Shoot The Messenger by Steve Gibson from Gibson Research Corporation...

Oh yeah, and I'm another person who swears by (instead of at hehe) mailwasher...

·
Lord of the RC
2,515 Posts
That one is easy to fix

Just go into the services section of the relevant OS and set windows messenger to disable easy fixed, blocks that spam right away

Never used mail washer, mainly as i have never ever gotten any spam to my main ISP accounts

·
Now driving an XF Falcon.
1,042 Posts
fordel said:
That one is easy to fix

Just go into the services section of the relevant OS and set windows messenger to disable easy fixed, blocks that spam right away

Never used mail washer, mainly as i have never ever gotten any spam to my main ISP accounts
Yup, it is easy to fix for those of us who don't get confused with all the options in the services section. For those of us who don't know much about computers, Shoot The Messenger does it for us, and is a very quick download, even for those of us who use slow old dial-up, because it's only 22K.

I raised this because how many people are even aware that that 'service' is not needed by Windows messenger, and in fact is not needed by the vast majority of users, however it is enabled by default, using up resources for no good reason, and adding another security concern to computers connected to the internet...

·
Lord of the RC
2,515 Posts
hehe true that :)

never heard of those places but sounds like a good idea....

Aye there are many things in there which dont need to be run, can save a heap of resources by getting rid of a lot of them

1 - 13 of 13 Posts