Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
boosted sleeper
4,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got the nod from the mrs to buy some 17' rims for my car!!! W00t :fluffy:

I just need to know opinions on what to get as I have a strict budget of about $1200 which will have to include tyres. yeah yeah I know its probably impossible but Im gonna try.

My choices are:
AU2 XR copies
ELGT copies
Avantek Blades

Opinions please. I would like to buy today or tomorrow as I would like to parade them for the SA Falcon cruise on monday! :hehe:

Any photo shoppers are welcome to match some rims up too from the pics I have on my site (click on EBXR8 link below)

Please hurry!!!

·
AUTS50 #012
1,001 Posts
ELGT copies for sure! too many running around with s2 XR rims, and they look much better. What ever you do don't get chrome.

·
boosted sleeper
4,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didnt realise they came in chrome.

Do you know how cheap I can get the rims for?

·
Bring Back Jeff Kennet
2,277 Posts
XXXR8 said:
ELGT copies for sure! too many running around with s2 XR rims, and they look much better. What ever you do don't get chrome.
I agree...chrome wheels are HORRIBLE!....I would go as far to sya that I hate chrome wheels as much as sparkles hates GT stripes. You would be cleaning the stupid things everyday.

blueoval...you can make any rims chrome if you really wanted to..but dont because they belong on fully sick lancers!

·
boosted sleeper
4,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah I agree with ya there FoMoCo, they look da bling blingest moit!

I wouldnt get chrome wheels ever. The closest I'd get to chrome is polished alloy.

I want to know what other option I could get other than the ones stated.

·
{';'}
4,345 Posts
Personally I think you should choose something different to the AUII XR copies and EL GT copies. I do like them, but they're getting very common. Have you got a picture of the Avantek blades?

·
boosted sleeper
4,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah I do but its too big to post on here. I can email it to you and you can try to reduce it if you want? Whats your email address?

·
Bourbon powered V8
4,751 Posts
Try a set of speedy spyders - they are a nice rim, but they are also around $300 each which leaves you no money for tyres.

·
boosted sleeper
4,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
JC said:
Try a set of speedy spyders - they are a nice rim, but they are also around $300 each which leaves you no money for tyres.
Sweeet!!! I wonder how well that would go down with the cops?:whatever:

Ive just been to look at a few wheel and tyre places such as:

The used tyre mart. The had a set of 17x8 CSA Prowlers with new Simex tyres, fitted and balanced for $1500 cash.

Bob Jane - Quoted me for a set of 17x8 Speedy Longchamps in the chrome look :fraz: with sava tyres fitted and balanced for $2100.

They had cheaper rims and tyres there but their really getting a little ordinary for my liking. I might have to up my budget or I might as well buy a set of 15's.(eewww)

I might take my time to look for some decent deals as well as save a bit more cash!

·
Rip Up The Track Join OFR
6,021 Posts
fordfan351 said:
Simex Tyres = waste of money

Check the trader for some 2nd handers, and I'll let ya know if I hear anything
had simex tyres on my au 16'' got 65,000klms out of them...

·
Lamahs approve of manuals
1,382 Posts
XRFPV8 said:
had simex tyres on my au 16'' got 65,000klms out of them...
I think thats why they're crap :) They must be very very hard sob's to get 65,000 out of a set, unless your miss daisy . . .

·
boosted sleeper
4,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the opinions guys. But you know what, I was having a long hard think last night and a decent chat with the mrs about my selection, and you guys are gonna flame me for this but, we both beleive the money for rims could go into something better again. i.e.an upgrade of vehicle in about 6 months time.

What?? I hear you say. Well we are planning on buying an AU2 Fairmont and I have a mods plan and budget for this car. Yes call me crazy, but I am planning to spend no more than 5k on mods alone.

How could I do this for that amount? Well, power wise I want a JMM dev3HL, and as you know, that will cost $2.5k fitted and tuned for 150rwkw. Thats a heap more power than what I have now. I know I will miss the sound of the 8, but thats something in my life at this stage Im willing to fore go. Ive had plenty of 8's in the past and I've been happy, so its time to get over it for a while. I'll always have the project car as a v8 cruiser anyway.

Next, will be wheels, now if the car comes with wheels already on it, I'll keep those and put the cash into a decent stereo system with subs and stuff. I envisage that will cost in excess of $1500.

That leaves me with about 1k to finish the car with a set of superlows and midnight window tint.

I know that is what I want and that is what I will leave it at as for the next 2 years a real serious savings plan will come to fruition in building/buying a house in Brisbane.

So what I have said in respects to rims for this car, wont happen for the above reasons. Also, Im spending $700 on EB today in servicing, coolant flush and a full front brake overhaul with new rotors, ultimate pads, bearings and brake flush with DOT4 fluid. Not happy about it but I need to do it.

So you can see why I need to hold off in impulse spending sprees for the car I currently have, coz I know what awaits me in the very near future and I beleive it will be better!

Let the flaming begin!

·
{';'}
4,345 Posts
No flaming mate. It sounds like a wise decision.

In regards to purchasing an AU Fairmont, are you going to be looking for a Ghia?

·
boosted sleeper
4,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No I have thought of that but with the vct motors you cant get as much power with a dev kit as the normal intech AU motors, plus it costs more on a vct for the kit I want and it wont have as much power according to the JMM website.

Thanks for asking. Was that the reason you were looking for?

·
boosted sleeper
4,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
around $9500-$10000 is what I'll be looking for.

·
{';'}
4,345 Posts
blueoval said:
No I have thought of that but with the vct motors you cant get as much power with a dev kit as the normal intech AU motors, plus it costs more on a vct for the kit I want and it wont have as much power according to the JMM website.

Thanks for asking. Was that the reason you were looking for?
I didn't expect that to be the case with the VCT engine. I'm not having a go, but did JM actually prove that?

I also went looking for the JMM website the other day and couldn't find it. Can you please point me in that direction?

Good decision all the same :thup:

·
boosted sleeper
4,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
On the Dev kits link where it has all the prices for your kits you have the Dev3HL with all the specs and then the rwkw of 150rwkw then the price of $2500. scroll down a bit lower and you will have your AUvct3+ specs then the rwkw of 142rwkw and then the price of $2800. Isnt that the difference between AU intech & VCT? Please inform me otherwise.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts