Ford Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just phoned a couple of parts suppliers and found that you cannot buy wheel bearings seperate to the front hub assembly for the AU! WTF? Got a price of $242.00 per side!

A ford spare parts place wanted $150 per side just for bearings i think too much i feel just for bearings.

I was after bearings only because i will be fitting DBA rotors and so I dont need new hubs.

My only avenue is to get a set of bearings from a bearing place but I will need to take them out first to match up the part numbers and once they are out i cant bloody go anywhere can I!!!!!!!!

Can anyone help me out with part/bearing specs so I can get them before i start work on the hubs?

Thanks

Dazza

·
345 Posts
As far as I know the bearings are intergrated in with the hub.Even if you can get the bearings separate how are you going to remove the old ones and fit the new bearings.I changed my hubs at 508,000kms and the new ones cost me $160each.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
greetings all
kooky
the hub & bearing is a sealed unit but from what i can understand about you post you only want to change them because you want to fit the DBA rotors if this is so you do not have to touch the hubs on the AU when removing the disc's

if you remove the wheel & then the caliper the disc is just sitting there ( i think that you may be confusing it with the earlier mode ford range )

all fords up to & including the EL had the wheel bearing pressed into the disc rotor & should be replaced with a disc replacement but the AU up to & including the BA range use a seperate hub & bearing unit

from memory the hub & bearing assm. is around $141.00

hope this helps

regards
rod

·
Lamahs approve of manuals
1,382 Posts
^^^ What rod said. For a Rotor change you don't need to much about with bearings and stuff. You lucky duck :)
Have sympathy for us poor E series ppl that do :p

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the help guys, i did look at the disks again and yes it revealed that i am in fact a dumbarse and i dont have to change bearings. I was going by an installation guide for an e-series and assumed (wrongly) that they were the same!

Well looks like i will fit them today or tomorrow in time for the Heathcote drag day.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have just fitted the fronts to my car and how bloody easy! Any dumbarse (me!) can do it!

Feels good so far better breaking thats for sure, will do rears early next week.

·
FPV & XR Club Owners ACT
463 Posts
Good luck with the rears...

took me and JC (if he is reading this) a couple of hours 5 to get the rears off and fitted, crow bar in there and rubber mallet..

Think there was a dodgy install before we came along though...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts