Ford Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Ford Experts….please help me out..

This couldn’t happen at a worse time!

We just moved to a new town, and are still paying the mortgage on our house that hasn’t sold yet, and paying rent too..

My wife hasn’t found a job yet, and now this!!

Anyway, to get to the point:

Last night, I drove my wife (in her 97 Explorer, 5.0, 94K miles) to the movies about 50 miles away..

I only drive it to church on Sundays, so I’m not really in tune with it..

I thought I noticed a whining sound from the rear axle area last night at highway speeds, and my wife commented that she thought she heard it too..

Today, when I pulled in the driveway, I saw the new oil spots all over the driveway, and got under the Explorer for a closer look..

There is oil all over the rear differential…I really don’t know what I’m looking at, having no experience with transmission at all..

SEE PHOTOS..

What should I do?

Can I fix this myself?

How much is this going to cost me?

Ford Mechanic?

Local Mechanic?

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated..

Kevlar

·
BA'o'Matic 100% working.
3,838 Posts
Sounds like the diff seal at the front dried up from very little use, and at speed it chewed out, dropped the diff oil, hence the whine, easy fix with new seals, and topped up with diff oil, no idea on cost, or ease fo doing it yourself.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you all so much for the replies...

I feel better now...

Does anyone know of a source for the directions, or instructions to do this?

On line?

·
97 F-150 XL 4x4
799 Posts
looks to me like it is the pinion seal and not just the cover seal.
which means one of 2 things might have happened.
1 the oil leaked out and the noise is from lack of lube.
2 the pinion bearing is on its way out and is causing a mis alignment of the gear teeth (making the noise).

either way if it is the pinion seal leaking it is a serious job not to be done by a novice

i say up to a couple hundred dollars at a service station and i wouldnt do it myself if i didnt have experience or you might end up breaking teeth on the gears which will be a bigger expense.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts