Ford Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
guys please help, I own a 93 probe gt atx, all of a sudden driving home tonight my, guages, tailights, both went out and my breaks started to feel really messed up like hard to break with i just made it home but am not sure what has happened, please help asap thanks in advance,

-steve

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well

well i finally got a bit of time today and checked my fuses, my tailight fuse (15 amp) is shot so i replace it, turn the car on put my lights on and the guages, tailights flash for a second then gone again, sure enough another fried fuse i repeated the process once more to be sure but the same thing happened, i then inserted a 20 amp fuse and bang all set evrything works fine now, but is this safe? i thought maybe since i have some neon lights inside the car that maybe it was pulling to much power through that fuse or something, allthough the neon has been in the car for over a month now and i never had this problem until now.

thanks,
-steve

·
Just some guy...
553 Posts
Where is the neon tied in to? I know that running a higher amp fuse to cover the problem will only cause you more problems in the future. Try undoing the neon and measure you volts with the car on. It should measure 14.5 and 12-12.5 with the car off.

·
Crown Victoria P71 Member
88 Posts
I would agree with gil. The fuse is only rated at 15amps of current. It is possible that your neon is popping the fuse if you tied into that power source. If that is the case by putting in a 20 amp fuse it would be ok as long as that is why it was blowing. If your neons are not on that circuit then you will have to start troubleshooting. You said you had the neon in the car for a while. If it is on that circuit make sure the ground for the neon didn't come loose, this would cause a draw on the system. Also if you have an aftermarket deck make sure the dimmer wire isn't exposed. Other than that there shouldn't be any real reason for it to do this on it's own. Unless the neon powersupply over time starts drawing more current, but that would go back to it being hooked to that circuit.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hmm

yea i dont like the idea of just throwing what could be a temp solution at this problem at all, i looked at what was tied into what on my car yesterday and it seems that my squirter lights and my strobe lights in my headlights are both tied into that circuit, now very recently one of my squirter lights died do you think this could have caused the problem that was occuring with the 15 amp fuse?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts