Ford Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1996 ranger. 4 cyl manual transmission. Car started and ran great until it froze outside. Then a piece of the ignition tumbler broke off. Now the starter turns but not the engine. It's not the battery. I changed the ignition tumbler that the key goes into. Same problem. All the fuses are good. The fuses are grounded. I never smell gasoline under the hood after trying to start it except for this one time when I grounded a prong on the fuel pump relay and tried to start it. That time it smelled like gas very strong. How can I tell if the ignition is engaging in the full on position or if it is only in accessory mode? The lights and radio work fine with the key turned on. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
1,528 Posts
I’m kind of confused. You have verified that the serpentine belt isn’t moving while cranking? If the starter moves but the engine does not I would think it’s the starter not engaging the flywheel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
22,972 Posts
Is the starter turning the engine but it's not firing / starting ? Is the starter turning but pinion not engaging ? " It's not the battery." what voltage on battery ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The engine fan turns so the belt turns when the key is all the way forward but the engine doesn't start. It never floods. No gas smell.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The serpentine belt turns. Need to double check battery tester. 11v but the starter is turning strong.

·
Super Moderator
22,972 Posts
11 v , your battery is knackered or at least needing charged and then tested

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here is the latest update on my truck.

A screwdriver in the spark plug boot tapped to a grounded wire makes.no spark while starting. May try a third battery but they never had trouble starting before. If it turned it started. I plugged the fuelpump relay.in wbile shorting power to the relay. No go.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here is the latest update on my truck.

A screwdriver in the spark plug boot gapped to a grounded wire makes.no spark while starting. May try a third battery but they never had trouble starting before. If it turned it started. I plugged the fuelpump relay.in wbile shorting power to the relay. No go.
Tapped ... I meant with a gap in it.
I’m kind of confused. You have verified that the serpentine belt isn’t moving while cranking? If the starter moves but the engine does not I would think it’s the starter not engaging the flywheel.

The serpengine belt moves. I started it w the switch but the engine won't turn. There is no spark even w a full "100 percent charged 12.8v start battery.
I want to direct connect to the starter coil next or just test the connections n ohms if I can find it. I'm on it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update. I installed a fully charged separate battery. 12.8v I started it w the slider switch instead of the key but still the engine wont fire up. Even w starter fluid. There is no spark. I will hunt down the coil next.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks so much alwaysfloored for ur patience.I got the ignition switch out and started the engine using it manually. The check engine light stI'll never comes on but the battery light and airbag light do when I slide the switch in the run or full on position. I will probably get a new ignition switch and try that soon. While the truck starter cranks, I saw no spark fromkl the spwrk plug wire near a ground but I pulled only 1 wire. This engine is very hard to access. I hear the gas pump come on now for about 3 seconds when I slide the ignition switch forward to near the cranking position which should indicate its in the run.position (maybe) but perhaps this switch can be cleaned up or repaired or I may just buy a new one.

·
Super Moderator
1,528 Posts
If the cel never comes on it means the ecu isn’t getting power. Check all of your fuses and relays.

·
Super Moderator
22,972 Posts
With your update , there are a few fuses , relay that need checking in relation to fuel , ignition non starting etc . May have been affected by changing battery . For example
Passenger side fuse box
# 24 - starter / anti theft
Engine
# 3 fuel system / anti theft
#14 ignition
#6 fuel pump relay
But others that MAY be tied in to the problems you are having , so have a good look at them all

This might help you

Ford Ranger (1993 – 1997) – fuse box diagram
Year of production: 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997

Passenger Compartment Fuse Panel
Ford Ranger - fuse box passanger - compartment fuse panelFord Ranger – fuse box passanger – compartment fuse panel
NumberAmpere rating [A]Description
17,5Power Mirror
315Parking lamp
410Left Headlamp
510Data Link Connector (DLC)
67,5Air Bag System, Blower Relay, EATC
77,5Illumination Switches
810Right Headlamp, Foglamp Relay, DRL
910Anti-lock System
107,5Speed Control, Generic Electronic Module (GEM), A/C System, Brake Interlock
117,5Instrument Cluster, Warning Lamps
1210Front Wash System, Power Windows
1315PCM System, Stoplamps, AWD, Anti-lock System, Speed Control
1420Anti-Lock System
10Anti-Lock System
157,5Air Bag, Alternator
1630Front Wiper
1725Cigar Lighter
15Cigar Lighter
1815A/C System
1925PCM System, Ignition Coil
207,5Anti-Theft, Generic Electronic Module (GEM), Radio
2115Hazard Lamps
2210Turn Signals
2410Starter, Anti-Theft
257,5Speedometer, Generic Electronic Module (GEM)
26104R44E/4R55E/4R7OW/5R55E Overdrive, DRL System, Backup Lamps
2710Under Hood Lamp, Map Lamps, Glove Box Lamp, Dome Lamp, Visor Lamps, 4×4 System
287,5Generic Electronic Module (GEM)
2910Audio System
3315Headlamps, Daytime Running Lamps (DRL) Module, Instrument Cluster
Engine Compartment Fuse Box
Ford Ranger - fuse box engine - compartment fuse panelFord Ranger – fuse box engine – compartment fuse panel
NumberAmpere rating [A]Description
Maxi fuses
230PCM Power
320Fuel System, Anti-Theft System
420Headlamps
530ABS system
630ABS system
820Parking Lamps
940Blower Motor
1020Power Locks, Power Windows, Power Seat
1120PCM Memory, Horn
1350Instrument Panel Fuse
1450Ignition
Mini fuses
120JBL System
230Power Point
315HEGO
4204 Wheel System
10Air Bag System
515PCM Memory Power
615Alternator system
710Air Bag System
204 Wheel System
815DRL/Fog Lamps/Off-Road Lamps
Relay
1Wiper Run Relay
2Horn Relay
3Fog Lamp Relay
4WOT A/C Relay
5PCM Power Relay
6Fuel Pump Relay
7Wiper HI/LO Relay
Diode
1ABS diode
2PCM diode
Resistor
1RABS Resistor
WARNING: Terminal and harness assignments for individual connectors will vary depending on vehicle equipment level, model, and market.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts