Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, i need help i have a 1998 el, white auto tow-pack 160,000 kms, i want a ba xr6 ute, what do you reckon the el is worth trad-in?

im in regional vic, is it worth shopping locally or down melb??

·
In a blue Galaxy
5,716 Posts
If you're trading into a dealer they will give you absolutely fudge all. expect not much more than 6 grand. I only got offered $7500 for my 96 el xr6 manual with a few mods. You're better of trying to sell privaely. I know I cant talk i never sold mine privately but then again i didnt have to trade into a dealer becasue im not getting a new car. Good luck mate. I know its alot of fcuking around!

·
Registered
581 Posts
Have you been to any car yards and talked about a deal? See what they have to say. I suspect Cobra is right but you just have to see for yourself.

As for me, any thoughts I had are gone. I've had dealers tell me they just don't want my car at all. Other estimates have been 12 to 14K trade-in. To sell privately is a total ball ache with all these nuffys who waste your time. I'd be lucky to get 16 to 17K, hardly worthwhile.

My AU XR6 is a keeper by default and you'd be better off keeping your EL. It's not like it's a shitheap or on it's last legs, it's still a fine set of wheels.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

·
THE VILLAGE LUNITIC
1,149 Posts
last El we traded at work with 160+k's on the clock with no log book history was around the 4500 mark, unfortunatly falcons and commos are all too common, i mean we trade VR-VS's for 3-4k its just the way it is mate, btw i work in brissy for a HONDA dealership im a new car sales consultant for KIA&HONDA, and i am just going by what we trade cars in at our dealership, seems to be ballpark with everyone else.

sell privately you will get more, purely because of the way the market works:) cheers

·
Registered
179 Posts
Nah mate, you'd be lucky to get $5-6k for a trade-in.

Dealer's are the best at getting the most out of their customers for new cars while trying to shaft customers on trade-ins. If your trade-in is in good condition, you would notice your car in the dealers second hand lot for 20-30% more the next week.

The best shot would be to sell privately, which can be time and $ consuming because of road-worthy, newspaper/internet adds, and then go to the dealer with a 'clean-slate' and negotiate them down to a good price.

As a guide, with dealers that discount, you should be able to get them down 8-12%. As a rule of thumb, I wouldn't expect anything less than 10%, and if they do offer less, just "walk" (and go to another dealer).
You have to be firm and serious to them, else they will treat you like an idiot.
Also, dont show your enthusiasm about Fords too much, else they think they've "got you", and wont budge. If anything, go a test drive a Holden ute and make sure you walk into the Ford dealer with your brochures (and better price).

·
Registered
71 Posts
when i traded my 1st car in for my falcon i got 4000 and it was a 95 excel with 194,000 kms on the clock, my falcon was 16990 so i thought i didnt do too bad, My old man considered buying a new toyota camry ( i dunno why) he has a 97 EL Xr6 5 speed manual with all the extras bah sunroof and it only has just clicked 28,000 ks and they would only give him 14-16 thousand for a car worth 34 grand i think so dad laughed at him in hes face and walked out. The car market for resale on anycar now days is plain old S h i t .

Cheers

·
Registered
179 Posts
Dempo said:
My old man considered buying a new toyota camry ( i dunno why)
With that sought of trade-in value, do you blame him for laughing in the dealers face and thinking about a Camry ?

Has your old-man tried any other Ford dealers ?

·
Registered
71 Posts
lol nah he hasnt hes over it now i think, hes just gonna hold on too it i mean its got 28000 on the clock so its gonna last ages and it is a good car

·
Resident geek freak
935 Posts
i traded my rough looking el gli6 wagon 220 000 on it... got $6k

·
Resident geek freak
935 Posts
Dempo said:
My old man has a 97 EL Xr6 5 speed manual with all the extras bah sunroof and it only has just clicked 28,000 ks and they would only give him 14-16 thousand
Cheers
14k for a 6 year old car is good... forget teh miles..its 6 years old
i mean they selling 2 year old cars for mid 20s. 4 year old cars under 20.
dont forget a dealer aint a charity. he has to pay rent, wages, insurance, advertising etc etc outa the difference between the trade in and what he sells it for, and somehow make a profit (thats why they in business).

hmm 28k in 6 years thats 4.5 p.a shoot i do that nearly every MONTH!

·
Wildlife Photographer
1,413 Posts
When I bought my BA ute, I only got 12K back for the Clubby.
Dissapointing, but I just couldn't be bothered fixing up the
problems that it had and selling it privately.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Unfortunately most people will get disappointed when they want to trade in for a new car,if you've got the time sell it private its the only way your going to get the money you want for a new car.Had a T-Series immaculate showroom condition done only 18,000klm and took it along just to see what it was worth as a trade in on a GTP they said it was worth $32,000 as trade in,i just laugh in horror nearly punched him out for insulting me with that figure anyway sold it 4 weeks later for $42,000.
Cheers John

·
Registered
227 Posts
How 'bout you try this... get it detailed or learn to do it yourself, get any 'dodgy' stuff fixed up and take it to a auction yard. You won't get as much as private but it sure save on the hassles.

·
Rip Up The Track Join OFR
6,021 Posts
the dealers are offering crap trade ins because they don’t want the cars, most are sent to auction that’s what they offer you a auction price, 2nd car market is so flooded with late model cars have a look at Altona Fowles Auctions thousands of cars waiting to be sold.

·
Registered
179 Posts
ist there some guide book online that outlines what dealers would pay ? I cant think of the name of it offhand but I'll try to find it.

·
Rip Up The Track Join OFR
6,021 Posts
rabbi said:
ist there some guide book online that outlines what dealers would pay ? I cant think of the name of it offhand but I'll try to find it.
there are two that i know of, one is called red book the other is Glass's Guide they use them just as a guide...

·
THE VILLAGE LUNITIC
1,149 Posts
doesent work like that, a dealer will pay more for a car if it is required, eg a coustomer is on a list wanting an EL XR6 manual in black/red 1 comes in 4 trade on a new car, that dealership will probably pay more for that car than usual because they have a buyer for it straightaway, dealerships inc mine will go by wholesale price what we can get for your car market value as stated before falcons and commos have SHIT resale value, there is only 2 ways of dealing with it, if NEW car isnt on promotion then they can tip the profit margin to building up your cars trade in or give u the same discount on the new car there is only 1 pot of money and you would be supprised at how little margin there is in new cars today, why because everything is so cut throught every one is on discount etc so there is little or no margin to play with, you have to understand like how u make money at the end of the week we do to its called business the world revolves around it, and everything has a profit margin the TV's u buy the food you eat everyone needs to make money its the way it is.

cheers

·
THE VILLAGE LUNITIC
1,149 Posts
as for glasses guide and the red book, useless as you car prob has higher k's or is not in as good condition or could be worth more for the opposite reasons nice clean car with low k's it doenst take that in to consideration or the fact that 200 EL's are for sale and no one wants them:S the fact of life

·
CEO - The BSR Group
4,400 Posts
You trade-in, you get shafted. Simple as that. Think of a reasonable figure for what you think the car is worth, then roughly half that number. This is the ballpark of what to expect.

At the very least, you will be shocked at how little you will get... at the worst, you will come very close to introducing the smug valuer's face to your fist... *cough* Kloster Ford, Hamilton *cough*

1 - 20 of 25 Posts