Ford Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I know how to wrench on motors. I'm not an idiot. I'm just new to FE motors. The only gaskets I can find with small ports are the ones WITHOUT heat ports. Thats what I'm confused about. Finding TDC is one of the first things you learn about wrenching on motors. Thats not my issue. I just need to know if I can use gaskets with the large ports or is that gonna screw me.

·
Registered
278 Posts
The large ported gaskets should not give you any complications, it's just better to have the exact fit. I would use the gaskets with the heat port. For normal driving you'll need that.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Thank you. Hopefully I get this thing done. Could the rotating the engine 45 degrees have anything to do with my pushrods being loose this last time when I tore it apart. I had installed the rockers like you had said, the last time I put it together. However there was no lifter tick. They weren't sloppy just looser than they should be. I really want this to be the last time I do this.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I really don't know anything about the 45 degrees, i must have ditched school that day when the talked out it in shop claass.

The only reason your pushrods are loose is the oil is out of the lifters and as soon as you get it running again the'll pump up with oil and take up the slack.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did this get fixed??? I know its an old topic, but this is SOOO familiar to what I fought. The intake gasket for my application was so big there was only about 1/8 of an inch of gasket material left along the top of the ports to get a seal. AND I had some issues with the exhaust crossover ports not aligning correctly.

My hardware:
Ford 390 FE heads
Changing out the 2bbl for a 4bbl intake and a Demon 650 double pumper
Factory 4bbl cast iron intake manifold

Who is aware of the FT engine series? Not the Ford-Edsel we deal with here, but the Ford-TRUCK series used in 2 ton and heavier vehicles? They have a 391 cubic inch (and a 359, a 361 but NO 360 cube...strange) and that intake is what I ended up with. To get it to work I had to re-use the intake gaskets, squirt "THE RIGHT STUFF" sealant on them to ensure no leekey, and weld shut the exhaust ports on the heads because the location of the ports is dead center on the FT intake, while the FE heads are not.

Is this anything similar to what you were fighting? Oh, and as far as sealant on the intake gasket goes, I am leak free. No vacuum, water, or oil leaks at all. The right stuff is no joke, yall.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts