Ford Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It almost seems as if something is going wrong with my f****ing EF every second week lately :-(

The auto has been really rough lately, the car does not accelerate smoothly and the cooling fans stay on all the time (even when the car is stone cold). At the recommendation of the local Ford dealer and the local auto trans bloke, I sent the car to get some diagnostics done today.

Well, my worst fears have come true, the Engine Management Computer is stuffed. The written report from the local dealer reads:

"Checked and found low internal voltage reference in PCM caused by internal fault. This is causing wrong readings to and from PCM - Requires new PCM".

They tell me getting a new one is quite expensive, and are recommending I go for a reconditioned exchange unit, which is what they will price for me tomorrow. They said to expect a $400-$500 price tag.

I wonder if going to a wrecker and getting one might be more cost effective.

Does anyone have any experience with replacing an engine management computer cost effectively ? Should I just go for a reconditioned exchange unit, or try for a second hand one, or is there somewhere I can send mine to be fixed ?

I worry about getting one from a wrecker because I won't know how good it is. At least I get a decent warranty with a reconditioned one, and can be more certain of it's condition.

Any help is much appreciated.

·
BA'o'Matic 100% working.
3,838 Posts
Getting yours fixed will be the same cost as a reco one, one from the wreckers will more than likely be working, and most charge i think about $150 and will swap if it doesnt work or get your money back (just ask).

Computer is located behind the plastic kick panel on the passenger side, DISCONNECT battery, the computer is held in by one screw and the computer has a 10mm bolt that holds the wiring harness to it, as simple as that to remove and replace it (car will have to learn again remmeber). Ford may be saying computer, but 500 bucks for them to say pronlem still exists can happen. So your choice, and apperently if the computer isnt too bad I have heard TV repair places can fix them, someone had a hyundai excel computer fixed by one.

Jason

·
Registered
1 Posts
Definatly the ECU, ive seen it before. There is a place in North Sydney that will recond them for you. Try your local autop pro shop, i think they are agents. Should cost much more than what you'd pay at the wreckers and they come with a 12 month warranty.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts