Ford Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It almost seems as if something is going wrong with my f****ing EF every second week lately :-(

The auto has been really rough lately, the car does not accelerate smoothly and the cooling fans stay on all the time (even when the car is stone cold). At the recommendation of the local Ford dealer and the local auto trans bloke, I sent the car to get some diagnostics done today.

Well, my worst fears have come true, the Engine Management Computer is stuffed. The written report from the local dealer reads:

"Checked and found low internal voltage reference in PCM caused by internal fault. This is causing wrong readings to and from PCM - Requires new PCM".

They tell me getting a new one is quite expensive, and are recommending I go for a reconditioned exchange unit, which is what they will price for me tomorrow. They said to expect a $400-$500 price tag.

I wonder if going to a wrecker and getting one might be more cost effective.

Does anyone have any experience with replacing an engine management computer cost effectively ? Should I just go for a reconditioned exchange unit, or try for a second hand one, or is there somewhere I can send mine to be fixed ?

I worry about getting one from a wrecker because I won't know how good it is. At least I get a decent warranty with a reconditioned one, and can be more certain of it's condition.

Any help is much appreciated.

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
Have you checked that all earths conections are o/k esp the one at eec inside kick panel??...We have an EF manual XR6 eec....

·
Registered
249 Posts
there is a crowd that remanufactures the ECU's ,and I think builds their own, and I have found them once on the 'net, complete with price lists. All I remember is that their heading was "ECM" or something similar, and I think they were in Qld. A lot of help I know, but maybe it's a start?

·
If Only I Had Lexus Power
827 Posts
I know they said "internal fault" but is it worth checking the voltage coming from the altinator. I know of several non ford cars where this has been an issue running aftermarket management

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
redGhia said:
I know they said "internal fault" but is it worth checking the voltage coming from the altinator. I know of several non ford cars where this has been an issue running aftermarket management
YES I had same trouble years ago.The battery was low on one cell and the alternator was overcharging something like 17volts, but thats with an EB V8 with Cobra eec X3Z..Hmm thats after they charged $950 for new alternator !!!

·
If Only I Had Lexus Power
827 Posts
He He -- i had a TP magna a few years ago the voltage regulator went and overcharged the battery. It actually melted the batterey cables into the casing of the battery (battery casing Melted). I never replaced the battery though it still worked a charm

1 - 7 of 7 Posts