Ford Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
345kw of V8 Windsor Power
2,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just installed Yella Terra 1.73 ratio roller rockers in my ED XR8. Now it dosen't want to idle and is very rough on acceleration. It seems like it is running on 6cy not 8. Before I dismantle the engine again, I was wondering if anyone here has had any probs with this installation. Also could this be the computer trying to relearn and how long does it usually take. Any help would be great.

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
You need to make sure you preloaded the lifters correctly during assembly. Also, the rocker covers on the engines (standard) will foul 1.7+ rockers and require modification of the oil baffle. Finally, have you worked out what your overlap is in the valve timing now you have gone 1.73 ratio?

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
P/ V clarence?????

I take it you have checked pistin to valve clarence ? Need atleast 80 thou.

Go www.corral.net / windsor they go in great depth on this...May have to go back a few pages...

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
Re: P/ V clarence?????

ebxr8240 said:
I take it you have checked pistin to valve clarence ? Need atleast 80 thou.

Go www.corral.net / windsor they go in great depth on this...May have to go back a few pages...
Yeah! Forgot that one. I hope we're not seeing the damage???? :dead:

·
2,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help guy's. I found out what it was. One of the pushrods didn't want to stay where it should :) Now its running much better.

·
I want a turtle!
2,635 Posts
Hi,

just curious.... which rockers did you get (I got Yella Terra ST2027)

:s6: :s6: :s6:

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
Phew That made you feel better ha? Sorry to scare ya:
Rockers etc can make a whole heap of noise on first start up until they pump up. Glad to hear it was a pushrod not seated right..

·
Battens PerformanceTuning
211 Posts
You might have just adjusted them incorrectly? The computer would have learnt by now. Check ignition system i.e firing order lead set.
Set idle as per manufacturers spec.

A set of 1.7:1 rockers would not upset the eecIV on there own.

·
I want a turtle!
2,635 Posts
Aussie Pete said:
You need to make sure you preloaded the lifters correctly during assembly. Also, the rocker covers on the engines (standard) will foul 1.7+ rockers and require modification of the oil baffle. Finally, have you worked out what your overlap is in the valve timing now you have gone 1.73 ratio?
Hi,

I am running standard rocker cover, with the 1.72 ratio rockers and did not have to remove the baffle at all... They fit!!!

[yawn] I am going back to bed now... tooo early in morning...

·
2,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, the ST2027's fit without a problem. Others made by Yella Terra, I think ST2028 and YT6025 don't fit without new rocker covers or mods to the current one.

·
I want a turtle!
2,635 Posts
Hi,

Not entirely sure about the names of things.... I just put the bits where I was told.

There are long rod thingy's (push rods?) and I got new ones of those.... and the little springs, I had to get new ones of those too... (I got purple ones)

Not sure if they are needed for the roller rockers, or cos I got the cam too?!?!

hey... I am really showing the girl side of me now... hehehehe

·
Shh i'm huntin more power
1,764 Posts
XR8chic said:
Hi,

Not entirely sure about the names of things.... I just put the bits where I was told.

There are long rod thingy's (push rods?) and I got new ones of those.... and the little springs, I had to get new ones of those too... (I got purple ones)

Not sure if they are needed for the roller rockers, or cos I got the cam too?!?!

hey... I am really showing the girl side of me now... hehehehe
Yep you push rods and valve springs. I know you get ones that bolt straight on from yella terra no guide plates or hardened pushrods needed. I think they're the ones tickford use.

·
2,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
With the ST2027, there is nothing else needed. They are twin shaft and don't need guides or hardened pushrods. Once you have the rocker covers off, they take about 1 hour to install. Basically rotate each cylinder to TDC, remove the rockers, install the new ones and torque them up to 25ft/lb. Thats it.

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
Ford heads that are on Falcon's here are pedistal mount even Sprint and need no guide plates. The stud mount after market heads and Ford S.V.T- U.S are more severe duty and use guide plates and hardened pushrods for they WILL wear on the guide plates like a cheese cutter.. Adjust rockers 1/2 turn pre load easy.. Pushrod length for geometry is very important..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts