Ford Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1998 F-150 with a 4.6 manual I was driving and went to turn and downshift and bam won’t go into gear. While running it is makes an off and on metal clanging sound, it won’t go into gear while running or while it is turned off we took off the rear driveline and it engages into gear if we do it that way. The guy who owned it before me said he put in a new clutch but he had an issue with some line coming off the slave cylinder and it caused it to not go into gear so he said he had to reattach it a couple of times but won’t say whether it was making the metal clanging noise. We are at a loss on what it could be if he replaced the clutch or what line he could be talking about any help would be greatly appreciated because it’s my only vehicle so I am stranded at the moment

·
Administrator
5,033 Posts
As RS Logan has said it will be the hydraulic line that runs from the clutch master cylinder to the clutch slave cylinder. Metal clanging noises are not a good thing to be hearing.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I agree with the guys above.There are two lines/ tubes that come off the slave cylinder which barely protrude from cutouts in the transmission.One has a bleeder fitting (like the brakes have to bleed the air from the cylinder) & the other has a coupler/quick
connect fitting.There have been numerous where it stated the coupler on some aftermarket slave cylinders wouldn't mate up correctly, causing the oem hose to pop loose.If this hose pops free from the coupler,fluid pressure will instantly be lost and the clutch will be engaged again,preventing you from shifting.The hose will also be free to flop around.If the hose is still attached and its not the cause of the noise or the condition,something may be wrong with the slave cylinder or other clutch components.Make sure you top off the clutch reservoir with brake fluid once you repair the cause of your issues.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts