Ford Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive seen threads with similar questions but none had a definitive answer - im about to get the Herrod Mild Steel Cat Back system put on my BAXR8 ute (citric acid, 18's, premium brakes, manual). My main goal is to improve the exhaust note and get a bit more power. Herrods reckon about 10kw at the motor and a nice exhaust note.

Any other ute owners with this system, and what do they think of it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
336 Posts
superbird302 said:
Ive seen threads with similar questions but none had a definitive answer - im about to get the Herrod Mild Steel Cat Back system put on my BAXR8 ute (citric acid, 18's, premium brakes, manual). My main goal is to improve the exhaust note and get a bit more power. Herrods reckon about 10kw at the motor and a nice exhaust note.

Any other ute owners with this system, and what do they think of it?
Ha ha, you want a definitive answer on a car modification... big ask...

I fitted a stainless cats back system last Thursday, and initial reaction... very impressed. If your decision on mild steel is based purely on price, fair enough, however, if not, consider the stainless, it keeps your dual exhaust tips.

There is a new thread in the Herrod Motorsport Section.

http://fordforums.com/showthread.php?t=59298

Either way, you will be happy.
 

·
X-DM!!
Joined
·
1,114 Posts
As Jase said either way mild steel or stainless you will be happy. Herrods have taking all the guess work out of putting a system together. I have spoken to a lot of exhaust shops and exhaust manufacturers, all seemed a bit vague on the back pressure subject. Good luck superbird 302 let us know which way you go.
 

·
Rip Up The Track Join OFR
Joined
·
6,021 Posts
Herrod cats back sounds good without being over the top, if you get your Header's done later sounds even better. Superbird where do you live ? if you are in Melbourne you are welcome to have a listen. mild steel and stainless steel both sound the same just one lasts longer..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses guys, its booked in to be done friday 13/2 at Gregorys Ford in Canberra. thanks for the offer of a listen anyway!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
695 Posts
Go the stainless steel twin out!! you don't want a single brown pipe (mild steel) sticking out the back of your awesome beast!!
 

·
If all else fails-GAS IT!
Joined
·
114 Posts
Sorry but mild steel & s/s don't sound the same, the mild steel sounds deeper according to my herrod dealer.

Also the mild steel has a stainless end cap sticking out the back not a brown pipe.

I have the mild steel on my 220kw v8 ute and it is excellent in sound quality and performance, but could still be louder.

cheers
Red
 

·
Rip Up The Track Join OFR
Joined
·
6,021 Posts
bloodnut said:
Sorry but mild steel & s/s don't sound the same, the mild steel sounds deeper according to my herrod dealer.

Also the mild steel has a stainless end cap sticking out the back not a brown pipe.

I have the mild steel on my 220kw v8 ute and it is excellent in sound quality and performance, but could still be louder.

cheers
Red
ask your Herrod dealer to cantact Jeff at Herrods in Melbourne because one of us is being miss informed, i am going there on Friday. who is your dealer ??
 

·
If all else fails-GAS IT!
Joined
·
114 Posts
XRFPV8 said:
ask your Herrod dealer to cantact Jeff at Herrods in Melbourne because one of us is being miss informed, i am going there on Friday. who is your dealer ??
My dealer is Paul Issac ford in NZ, he told me that the stainless steel system isn't as deep throated which would make sense as on my motorcycles a stainless exhaust also gives a higher pitched sound than steel or carbon fibre.

He recommended that you get mild steel if you go for cats back and s/s if you get a full system and go to the effort of removing the engine to fit it.

Lets face it a mild steel system is probably not going to rust out during your ownership unless you plan on keeping the car for ten years or more.

cheers
Red
 

·
Rip Up The Track Join OFR
Joined
·
6,021 Posts
it would be a interesting poll, everyone i know used the stainless steel....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You boys were right, got the herrod mild steel cat back system fitted on friday. its perfect, the right balance of noise but not too much.

A make did a drive by for me and it sounds unreal.
 

·
When 2 T3s are not enough
Joined
·
1,934 Posts
Did you get the 10 kw? did you get a dyno before & after ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
bloodnut said:
Lets face it a mild steel system is probably not going to rust out during your ownership unless you plan on keeping the car for ten years or more.

cheers
Red
Just on this point, what sort of warranty does Herrods give for their exhaust systems (both SS & MS)? How long, realistically, can we expect a mild steel exhaust to last without encountering any issues....surely some of you fellas out there would have had some experience with both you could pass on?

Cheers,
Simmo.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top