Ford Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are benefits of installing the Herrod exhaust system to my car ?
Is there any power increase or fuel saving ?
What is the difference between the full system and the cat back one ?
:fraz:

·
Registered
128 Posts
1. It now sounds like it has hair on its ba**s and it matches the aggressive look
2. Power increase yes, fuel savings can be had as long as you dont plough the right foot too much ( but believe me its hard )
3. Full system - extractors, high flow cat and low restriction straight through muffler, 2.5" pipe
Cat back is just the 2.5" pipe and low restriction muffler ( ie whatever is "back" from the catalytic convertor )

Cost ( in sydney ) are:
full system in stainless steel - $2000 ( I think )
full system in mild steel - $1200
cat back in stainless - $1400 ( again I think )
cat back in mild steel - $600

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!
The sound is intoxicating....and be sure to get a cold air intake and filter ( BMC or k&n ) of some sort ( ss induction CAI is pricy but good ).

·
Registered
548 Posts
Like xr virgin has stated full system inclueding headers is worth the investment, I paid $2550 for my one at Knox Ford (Melbourne) aswell as the SS cold air intake $350, and K&N filter $140, these few mods will make a heap of differance

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
xr_virgin said:
1. It now sounds like it has hair on its ba**s and it matches the aggressive look
2. Power increase yes, fuel savings can be had as long as you dont plough the right foot too much ( but believe me its hard )
3. Full system - extractors, high flow cat and low restriction straight through muffler, 2.5" pipe
Cat back is just the 2.5" pipe and low restriction muffler ( ie whatever is "back" from the catalytic convertor )

Cost ( in sydney ) are:
full system in stainless steel - $2000 ( I think )
full system in mild steel - $1200
cat back in stainless - $1400 ( again I think )
cat back in mild steel - $600

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!
The sound is intoxicating....and be sure to get a cold air intake and filter ( BMC or k&n ) of some sort ( ss induction CAI is pricy but good ).

What does "cold air intake and filter ( BMC or k&n )" do ?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Cold air intake feeds "cooler" air to the engine. Simple fix is to add an XR6T snorkel ( which about twice as big as the standard snorkel ) which is $30 or so.
Expensive option is the SS Induction unit which is about 3 to 4 times bigger again ( fits over the top of the entire radiator ). But it is $400.
Custom CAI's are usually a duct running from the front bumper to the airbox but due to them being so low they are susecptible to filling with water and a lot more fiddling around.
Id recommend the SS Induction, then the XR6T but go with what your budget is happy with!

The science behind CAI is:

cooler air = denser air
denser air = more oxygen
more oxygen = the ability to add more fuel to the mixture without running lean
more fuel being burnt = more power!

The bmc or k&n is just less restrictive and re-usable cloth filter ( meaning you can clean it ) so it will allow more air to flow through it to the engine rather than the throw away standard paper filters.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
xr_virgin said:
Cold air intake feeds "cooler" air to the engine. Simple fix is to add an XR6T snorkel ( which about twice as big as the standard snorkel ) which is $30 or so.
Expensive option is the SS Induction unit which is about 3 to 4 times bigger again ( fits over the top of the entire radiator ). But it is $400.
Custom CAI's are usually a duct running from the front bumper to the airbox but due to them being so low they are susecptible to filling with water and a lot more fiddling around.
Id recommend the SS Induction, then the XR6T but go with what your budget is happy with!

The science behind CAI is:

cooler air = denser air
denser air = more oxygen
more oxygen = the ability to add more fuel to the mixture without running lean
more fuel being burnt = more power!

The bmc or k&n is just less restrictive and re-usable cloth filter ( meaning you can clean it ) so it will allow more air to flow through it to the engine rather than the throw away standard paper filters.

Thanks for your help !

1 - 6 of 6 Posts