Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spoke to Herrods today:

The ute in Motor has an engine upgrade equivalent to $11000. All the good stuff to make it rev hard and run smooth. Includes a full package of valvetrain, exhaust, balnce/blueprint, alloy heads etc. Rated at an easy 250kW.

There is a $7000 kit that also goes to 250kW but it's not balanced/blueprinted and uses the iron heads. Not as sweet from what I gather.

Finally, there is the strokers. $6500 gets a 270kW balanced/blueprinted stroker kit with no other engine changes (assuming starting point was a 200 XR8). Add $600 for a stud girdle for reliability/insurance. Add $1500 for valvetrain upgrade and you got big numbers. Top value!!!!!! Should be close to 300kW I reckon (although they have only done more heavily modded strokers to date).

Once you get used to those figures, go on and modify the exhaust further and more bolt ons to head towards an easy 330kW. And blow the Holdens away...... :evil:

·
Future XR Owner
2,245 Posts
Seems like a fair deal, especially for the strokers. Did he say anything about the performance of the Ute tested in MOTOR?

What would be more reliable though? a stroked windsor with upgraded valvetrain or force fed:?:

·
7,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I still think 'go for dollars' the blowers are the way to go. However, there's the factor of it being so obvious when you lift the hood. The Herrod stroker is practically invisible. My understanding is you still get full warranty coverage using Herrod (they cover what is lost in the Ford warranty).

I didn't want to ask about the ute because if you look at the specs (ie. it's a high rpm spec engine with all the good gear) it is obvious you're cutting it's head off with a rev limit of 5500rpm.

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,542 Posts
Hmmm thats music to my ears, Herrod is our life saver in the power stakes i reckon. That $7000 option sounds cool, wouldn't be as good as the $11,000 option but a decent price for good power.

:D :D :D

Arrrrrgh if i can only get an XR8....
Me gunna have to wait till uni ends for that
:( :( :(

·
7,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's a scenario that shows how good it can be:

AU2 XR8 200kW base

Herrod Stroker Kit, Basic 275kW $6500
Herrod Valvetrain Upgrade $1500
Herrod Stud Girdle $600
Herrod GT40 Upper Intake Manifold $800
Herrod Manifold Spacer $120
Herrod 75mm Throttle Body $675

Total $10,195 for an easy, reliable 330kW with full warranty coverage. And don't forget the torque from a stroker... :evil2: :CraZ:

Go further if you want by doing exhaust and other bolt-ons when you get used to the power! :cool:

·
7,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ford letter on the way. Cars are getting priced now....
The stroker is the way to go (and basically Ford is paying!). I'm just getting used to the idea of 330kW...:evil2:

Options are the sticking point though. :(

·
Nacho Nacho Man!
3,514 Posts
With this thread, I think I've found my NEW calling. :evil: :evil: :evil:

Now I just have to consider how I might fund the bugger. The plans to buy a place might have to wait.
:evil: :evil:

·
Future XR Owner
2,245 Posts
Mmmm, Aussie Pete, your making me want to buy and XR8 NOW, I just can't handle the interior. Still would be an awesome buy, series 1 AU XR8 from Auctions, visit herrods, and you've got a VX GTS killer!:evil: for roughly half the price.

What sort of warranty is supplied:?:

·
7,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
JEM said:
I just can't handle the interior......
What sort of warranty is supplied:?:
Interior looks much better once you option leather and Momo wheel/knob. Heaps better than VX.
Herrod warranty is same as Ford's from what I gather in our conversations.

·
Future XR Owner
2,245 Posts
Aussie Pete said:

Interior looks much better once you option leather and Momo wheel/knob. Heaps better than VX.
I'm ok with the seats etc, its the centre console:WH:

Regarding the interior trim, I'd love to see the interior (or something similar) from the Sony Xplod, with the embroided XR logos etc, looked great!

·
7,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
JEM said:

I'm ok with the seats etc, its the centre console:WH:
Centre console AU1 was real bad - but AU2 is okay....

·
7,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Available now. They have the first cars that were ordered coming down the production line very shortly.

I didn't ask capacity but I think he said it was 5.6????

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
I wonder if the normally aspirated 300kw Falcon mentioned in Motor could be this car?

I spoke to Rob on Tuesday about some other work they are doing for me but he was too busy to really get into it! Did you talk about drive line changes to handle the extra power?

·
7,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nah! It'll take it. I had a VK HDT Director modified and it ran an M21. No probs. It's in the way you drive them. Use the power smartly (no harsh banging) and the loads should be fine.

I've seen these diffs and gearboxes handle more power than I'm getting in the Holdens.

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
I tend to agree with you except for two things. I doubt you have ever own a holden that will have the grip your XR will have and 2nd it is the clutch that won't handle it unless of coarse you are talkin about an auto and then I would have wasted 2 minutes of your time!

·
7,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
HSE2:
I am holding back all my fury at your even suggesting that I would consider an AUTO. Pity you my son. If you buy a performance car it CANNOT be auto. Three pedals maketh a man's car!

Now - about that clutch - surely no worse than a Lancer GSR or TX3 4WD. Also, no car has traction with over 300kW.. :evil2:

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
About this Discussion
47 Replies
13 Participants
Aussie Falcon
Ford Forums
Ford Forum is a community to discuss all things Ford. Check out our discussions on the Ford Escape, Mustang, Edge, F-150, Raptor, Explorer, Focus, Fusion, Fiesta and more!
Full Forum Listing