Ford Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Mr. Embargo
3,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah sorry Holden stuff...

Well I went in a HFV6 3.8L powered Commodore earlier today for about 10 minutes, and all I can say is Ford will have some work to do to remain competitive. The vehicle was a standard VY Executive, laidened with extra weight (which I can only assume is to represent what the VE Commodore will weigh in at - I really should have asked) and also had developmental front seats.

The engine had done 45,000k's and was running a 5 speed auto, no variable valve timing and no specs on power and torque were able to be given to me.

My Impressions: Damn quiet, so I can only assume that the next Commodore will be quieter still, gearbox wasn't hunting for gears like the current 4A, but it wasn't as great as I thought it could have been - 1st gear is a bit taller than I would have expected for a 5spd but still feels very torquey. Acceleration was much better than the ecotec, I couldn't accurately gauge but I would say it would better the Falcon to 100 quite comfortably.
The engineers talked to me about the marvellous NVH features of the engine (admittedly its pretty impressive) but made mention of having some issues with the oil-jet assemblies that are supposed to lubricate the underside of the piston and cylinder wall but they don't seem to be doing their job properly :)

What else can I say...the seats were fine, they gave ample support where they should have, a bit better than the VY, but not by much (apparently there are quite a few different development seats and the one in this car wasn't the updated version).

Even without VVT, this engine should take it up to the Falcon quite easily...I'm starting to think that the Duratec 35 may be our only hope...

·
CEO - The BSR Group
4,400 Posts
It did always sound like a great engine - now to see if the VE will turn out to be as porky as promised! By the sounds of it though, the HFV6 in a VY weight shell should be pretty quick...

·
The SparkleHunter™
10,144 Posts
Was always going to give the I6 a run for it's money. Be interesting to see just how porky VE will be. I hear the new caddy IRS weighs a tad more than holden would like. Has me crying in my boots let me tell you!

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,540 Posts
Thanks for the review there RPO. I'm confident that our Ford Inline 6 will be competitive. Keep in mind that our current BTR 4 speed with it's tall 1st and 2nd gear doesn't potray the true bottom end potential of the DOHC 4.0L. Doing abit of research on the ratio's of the falcons BTR 4 speed box, i found that it dates back since the 3 speed auto's of the X series only diffence is the added ratio of an over drive 0.68 ratio.

Considering how much revvier and refined the new engines are (comparing to the grumpy OHV engines) it's no wonder the auto falcons seem abit lacking in acceleration considering ratio's used from like 2 1/2 decades ago.
As well as ratio's in sure the DOHC 4.0L has still got plenty of potential, especially in the cams.

Be interesting to see how the durability of the HFV6 goes. One advantage i do see with the HFV6 is it's ability to rev better with a basically square engine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts