Ford Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my names dave and im 17, and am doing my last year of school.
At the end of the year when i have finished i am going to purchase a Ford Fairlane ZA/ZB (With the 302) and going to restore it and do a couple of [hopefully] cool and unique things to it.

i have a few quistions.

# Does anyone know what kind of Disk brakes would fit (E.g. Newer Falcon XR8 E.t.c)

# Is it possible to put the new falcon ZF 6 speed auto gearbox in ?

# And if there are any recomendable places to go to who know alot about this model in Sydney.

(Sorry if the quistions sound stupid, i don't know much about engines)

Thanks, all help apreciated.

·
Love my fat Fairlane
15 Posts
Dave, Why you wanna dive into Brakes and 6 speed boxes ? Sure, you'll want to slow it down once you've worked out how to get the big beast moving but why dont you get stuck into resto first ?? At the end of the day unless you're gonna spend a small fortune then it's still gonna drive like an old Fairlane. Enjoy it for what it is. Make it clean, low and loud.... and if that dont work .. fit a set of flame throwers.

·
Registered
44 Posts
This sounds like a familiar scenario. when I left school (midway thru yr 12) to start a job, I bought a ZA Fairlane with my new abundance of cash (having previously worked at a cornerstore).

It was in reasonable condition, 302ci Cleveland, standard single exhaust - rusted out, vinyl trim - cracked, but the body was pretty much straight. It was a copper bronze colour, in reasonable condition for its age, a little sunburnt, but it was mine for $2000 cash in hand, to the little old lady who's late husbands car I was about to drive away. He bought it new when he retired, and they had towed a caravan around australia with it. He always drove it, but when he passed away, it just sat there for a few years. Eventually this mid eighty year old woman decided to renew her licence, and drove it around for a little while, I quote: "just to get groceries and to my monthly war womens guild meetings," cute..

So when it came time to freshen it up, I was happy that I'd just need to replace a few fittings, new shocks, rubbers, etc.. Neooo.. I found a car that looked great externally, but under the woodwork, it was a disaster. I got the body work back to original condition, and painted, in a custom mix of black and wild violet with 5 coats of clear (a bit of a splash, if you'll pardon the pun, but it looked killer in the end). Had the C4 Auto reco'd, the brake discs replaced, new pads, self reco'd drums, brake booster, parkbrake cables, engine reconditioned with a 600vac sec Holley, extractors and twin exhaust, new radiator core. I personally recovered the interior with a mix of suede and vinyl. Fitted a set of 15" Centreline Prowlers.

When I bought it, I was thinking about how good it was, because I wouldnt have to do anything to the car at first, cause it was good already.. yeah, nearly $27k and over 2 years later, I was faced with a beautiful car, but an ugly debt to repay, and the whole build was done on a tight budget, no real performance add ons, all reconditioning was done to stage1 specs, or standard specs, nothing bar the holley, exhaust and the brake discs and pads were performance parts.

So just be careful with your spending. Start out slow. You can build on it as you go along. :hy:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts